This podcast is a recording of Philip Cummings’ presentation, “Say Yes to WikiPedia” on 1 Oct 2010 at the Martin Institute for Teaching Excellence’s fall conference in Memphis, Tennessee. The session description was: “Students can use Wikipedia to develop critical thinking skills through authentic learning and real-life research and publishing.” Philip’s co-presenter, Julie Forbess, is a teacher at Millington Central High School in Shelby County Schools, Millington, Tennessee, but was not able to attend the conference. This project provides an outstanding opportunity for students to not only demonstrate real-world research skills, but also contribute to their community by more comprehensively reflecting facts about their area for digital visitors on WikiPedia.
- MultiURL for this session (session links)
- My text notes from this session
- A Retrospective Saunter (Philip Cummings’ blog)
- Philip Cummings on Twitter: @Philip_Cummings
- The Martin Institute
- The Martin Institute Conference Wiki (with links to presentation resources)
- Twitter posts on #micon (Martin Institute Conference)
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
Did you know Wes has published 3 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- A Fourth Grader is Inspired by Oklahoma Artist Danny Gordon - 2013
- Congrats Brad Wilson: iRig Mic Winner for Sharing Student Media in September - 2011
- Podcast381: Reach for the Stars Using Media in Your Classroom - 2011
- Podcast361: Be Like Google (as a school community) - 2010
- Podcast359: PODDY Training: iPod Touches in the Early Childhood Classroom - 2010
- Podcast358: Lessons Learned Ustreaming EVERY Conference Presentation (and more) with Clif Mims - 2010
- My TeachMeet Tennessee Shares on Digital Storytelling and Balanced Filtering in Schools #tmtn - 2010
- Audioboo: Favorite family web 2.0 app by @clifmims #tmtn - 2010
- 2010 will be an interesting year for Oklahoma educational politics - 2009
- RIAA lawsuits are not constructive responses to P2P file sharing - 2008