…according to research from security firm AVN 82% of kids under two years old have some form of online presence.
According to the CNN article referenced by Fast Company, this statistic in the US as well as countries like New Zealand is even higher: 92% in the US, 91% for Kiwis.
Stats like this highlight the large disconnect in many of our US K12 schools which continue to block, via content filtering, the entire interactive web. What’s the answer to this quandary? I’m not sure, but I’m seeking an answer. Regular conversations about digital citizenship are certainly part of the solution we need in our homes, schools and communities.
This research doesn’t claim 82% of toddlers are online themselves, but rather 82% of parents are creating online profiles for their kids. Think conversations about Internet Safety and digital citizenship are just needed by youth in your community? Think again. Adults need help making online choices too.
Sent from my iPad
Sent from my iPad
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- OTA - EncycloMedia 2014 Participant Reflections - 2014
- Podcast382: A Digital Witness in Tahrir Square, Egypt in January 2011 - 2011
- Is Baby Duck Syndrome Holding Back Digital Literacy Development at Your School? - 2010
- No Constitutional Right to Bear Cell Phones Exists - 2010
- Educon 2.2 in Philly: January 29 - 31, 2010 - 2009
- Oklahoma 2008 Veteran's Day Videoconference - 2008
- Mobile phone counseling for teachers from My Mobile Guru - 2008
- What Common Sense Media didn't tell parents about WikiPedia but should have - 2008
- Amidst K12Online07 launch, content control wars rage on in schools - 2007
- Inventing the New Boundaries by David Warlick - 2007