The International Children’s Digital Library is not only the source of the awesome, free iOS app StoryKit, it is also a super place to read free, high quality digital children’s books! My ten year old daughter and I recently discovered how wonderful books from the ICDL can be when we read Taming the taniwha, written by Tim Tipene and illustrated by Henry Campbell. This is a beautifully illustrated book, and a good one to read with kids who may be facing bullying issues at school.
To find this book, after clicking READ BOOKS we chose to show only ENGLISH books with the drop down menu in the middle of the screen. We chose the “Ten to Thirteen” category on the left side of the screen:
Next, because we were looking for a book to read at bedtime, we clicked “Short Books” at the bottom of the screen:
Last of all, we chose “Picture Books” on the right side of the screen. Eight books matched all our selected criteria.
Sarah chose the book from our filtered selections.
It was great to be able to read this bedtime story on my iPad! As you can see, the illustrations are vibrant and rich in this book. It looked great on a tablet.
Check out the FREE International Children’s Digital Library and share it with other young readers you know. Also consider using books in other languages if you are a language teacher or wanting an opportunity to read books in another language!
– Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- AirDrop Video Sharing, 5 Photo Stories and Narrated Slideshows - 2013
- Devastated at the Forced Closure of the OKC Coworking Collaborative by US Fleet Tracking - 2012
- Reflections on Unlimited Petroleum Wealth from the Persian Gulf - 2011
- Flying Home From Doha [Narrated Slideshow] - 2011
- Platform agnostic developers will help redefine print and literacy - 2010
- Dean Shareski at ITSC 2010 - 2009
- Incentive for better learning about communism, capitalism, and government - 2009
- Evidence Bing is Lame - and Google Search Rocks (a NY caller asking for AOL Press) - 2009
- In Praise of Outdoor School, Ed Holzberger, Classen SAS and Oklahoma City Public Schools - 2009
- Podcast286: Learning about Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Powered Vehicles from Dr. Peter Sherwood of Oklahoma State University - 2008