It’s quite interesting to spend three days a week this semester teaching and writing on the campus of the University of North Texas, in Denton. Last week the organization, “Justice for All” sponsored a controversial anti-abortion campaign. These were the signs that greeted students, faculty, and others walking by the student union and the outdoor display.
The campaign included large billboard-sized signs and photographs, set up to encourage people to question their perceptions and ideas about birth and abortion.
An area for students to write comments was provided, along with a voting table.
If you’re interested in seeing the entire display, you can see additional images in this Flickr set. I will warn you, however, the images are (as the sign indicated) very graphic. I’m pretty sure this educational campaign caused more than a few students as well as passers-by to question their own ideas about abortion and the beginning of life. It will be interesting to see if “Planned Parenthood” stages some kind of campaign on campus this semester in response. Some of the messages left by students on the “free speech board” indicated they were very upset by this display being on campus, and the graphic nature of the photographs included.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Learning about Schoolwide WordPress Blogs with Andrea Hernandez - 2015
- Tough Creative Love: The Why and How of Creative Action - 2012
- Breakthrough Thinking by Peter Diamandis - 2012
- Encouraging Creativity in Education through Community & Technology - 2012
- Leading a Culture of Innovation by Sir Ken Robinson - 2012
- Creating Oral History Interview Videos on an iPod Touch - 2011
- iPad Doorprizes, Clearly Announced Conference Recording Permissions, & Ustreaming #micon - 2010
- Carl Anderson on Learning and the Purpose of School (video) - 2010
- Utilizing Social Media (in schools and for citizen journalism) #collab21 - 2010
- Google Profiles, Online Reputation Management, and Digital Footprints - 2009