Prior to the start of the lightning talks, David Glover took a few minutes to explain and demonstrate the amazing SQUARE device which permits anyone with an iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch to take credit card payments. This is the Square in my hand. This amazing invention plugs into the headphone jack of any iOS device, and works with free software. A small fee (less than many alternatives, and contract-free) is charged for each credit card swipe. The charge is greater if you don’t swipe but key in the credit card information.
Visit squareup.com to sign up and start using Square. The Square device itself is free. Learn more background about Square in this 10 November 2010 ZDNet article, “125 million iOS devices morph into credit card terminals.” According to the article:
Square handles the processing and payments and takes 2.75% (swiped) or 3.5% (keyed) plus a 15 cent fee per transaction. The service is really taking off and is now processing millions of dollars in mobile transactions every week.
I’m considering using the Square personally for book sales once I get my first one published via Bookbrewer, hopefully later this year! 🙂
Thanks to David Glover for sharing the Square with me and others at OpenBeta5! This is really amazing technology! David is a pretty amazing fellow himself, his website is Flying Humans LLC. I’ve found lots of interesting people hang out at the OKCCoCo! David was my partner for PowerPoint Karaoke later in the evening at OpenBeta. We didn’t win any prizes, but it certainly was fun!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Reasons to Invest in Education - 2011
- 3 External Microphone Options for iPads (Nov 2011) - 2011
- Captions and Cross-References for Automatic Page Numbers in MS Word - 2011
- Pennsylvania Newspaper Article / School Tech Director Misrepresents CIPA - 2011
- Ready for the Creativity World Forum #cwf2010 - 2010
- Remembering the amazing Grape iMac: 266 mHz with a 6 GB Hard Drive - 2010
- Accessing the web where URL shorteners don't work? Problem solved with Untiny - 2009
- Branching surveys and self-grading quizzes in Google Forms / Google Docs - 2009
- Ustream chat moderation lessons and Coursecasting opinions - 2008
- Negotiations with Siteground for alleged shared hosting account "abuse" continue - 2008