In the November 24th New York Times article, “For Google, the Browser Does it All,” leaders at Google offer some insights into how Android and the forthcoming Google OS (operating system) may change the computing landscape dramatically. Linus Upson, the Google VP in charge of engineering for Chrome, sees Google operating systems as major threats to current environments sold by Microsoft and Apple.
Mr. Upson says that 60 percent of businesses could immediately replace their Windows machines with computers running Chrome OS. He also says he hopes it will put corporate systems administrators out of work because software updates will be made automatically over the Web. But the vast majority of businesses still use desktop Microsoft Office products and cannot imagine moving entirely to Web-based software or storing sensitive documents online — at least not yet.
The key phrase here is, “not yet.” Baby duck syndrome has a powerful influence on users as well as IT personnel. As Steve Ballmer observed recently in an interview for Arstechnica, the experiences of consumers at home lead to changing demands at work.
Remember the importance of respectfully and persistently asking for changes you want to see with your organization’s content filter and other IT policies.
– Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- 10 Free Things I Am Thankful For x2 - 2015
- Students Need Teacher Relationships Not Just Adaptive Software & Videos - 2015
- Consider Upgrading Your Home Cable Modem to DOCSIS 3.0 - 2014
- Hangin' Out with Brad and Drew - 2013
- A Free iPad Alternative to BoardDocs For Meeting Agenda and File Sharing - 2013
- Creating a Customized URL Shortener with YOURLS - 2011
- Stay Connected and Stay Warm with the Media Muff - 2010
- Podcast335: Classroom Basics for 1:1 Computing by Shawn Massey and Wynn Draper-Bryant - 2009
- 7 Mac and iPhone Software Apps for which I'm thankful - 2009
- Read Facebook in Pirate English - 2009