This Thanksgiving holiday when we took a family Christmas card photo, I asked everyone to hold their smart phone, iPod or iPad. I’ve been very aware of the proliferation of mobile, wireless devices during our holiday get-togethers, and this year (as I expected) there were more screens present than ever.
Did you notice more mobile screens around your house this week for Thanksgiving? (If you didn’t celebrate Thanksgiving, how about the last family holiday get-together?) Did those screens interfere with social interaction around the house, or seem to enable everyone to be more connected with others in different places as well as those present in person? I think everyone at our house did a good job balancing the opportunity to spend time together (without screens) and the opportunity to be online / be connected with others. Of course our kids aren’t on Facebook or Twitter yet. This is something we’ll continue to discuss and work on. “The digital temptation of the screen.” It exterts a powerful influence on us!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Lessons Learned Using Nearpod Presentations on iPads with Students - 2013
- Introducing 4th and 5th Graders to Scratch Software Possibilities - 2012
- A High School Student Tweet Heard 'Round Kansas - 2011
- 2011 #k12online Conference Starts Monday - 2011
- WatchKnow vets educational YouTube videos - 2009
- Examples of digital storytelling types - 2008
- Sharing purchased iPhone applications and iTunes songs with family members - 2008
- Learn and share about OLPC - 2008
- Successful XO Laptop Firmware Upgrade - 2008
- Podcast294: An Interview with NASA Flight Engineer Tom Weichel discussing Gemini, Apollo 11 and Apollo 13 - 2008