This Thanksgiving holiday when we took a family Christmas card photo, I asked everyone to hold their smart phone, iPod or iPad. I’ve been very aware of the proliferation of mobile, wireless devices during our holiday get-togethers, and this year (as I expected) there were more screens present than ever.
Did you notice more mobile screens around your house this week for Thanksgiving? (If you didn’t celebrate Thanksgiving, how about the last family holiday get-together?) Did those screens interfere with social interaction around the house, or seem to enable everyone to be more connected with others in different places as well as those present in person? I think everyone at our house did a good job balancing the opportunity to spend time together (without screens) and the opportunity to be online / be connected with others. Of course our kids aren’t on Facebook or Twitter yet. This is something we’ll continue to discuss and work on. “The digital temptation of the screen.” It exterts a powerful influence on us!
Check out Wesley's new ebook, "Mapping Media to the Common Core: Volume I." (2013) It's $15!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Lessons Learned Using Nearpod Presentations on iPads with Students - 2013
- Introducing 4th and 5th Graders to Scratch Software Possibilities - 2012
- A High School Student Tweet Heard 'Round Kansas - 2011
- 2011 #k12online Conference Starts Monday - 2011
- WatchKnow vets educational YouTube videos - 2009
- Examples of digital storytelling types - 2008
- Sharing purchased iPhone applications and iTunes songs with family members - 2008
- Learn and share about OLPC - 2008
- Successful XO Laptop Firmware Upgrade - 2008
- Podcast294: An Interview with NASA Flight Engineer Tom Weichel discussing Gemini, Apollo 11 and Apollo 13 - 2008