This podcast is an interview with Ruslana Westerlund, the creator of the ELL Bill of Rights (ellbillofrights.com) and the keynote speaker at the “Co-teaching and Collaboration Conference” in St Paul, Minnesota on 12 Nov 2010, at the School Community of Excellence. Ruslana is an educator originally from Ukraine, and has worked for years with English Language Learners. She is focused on educating teachers as well as students about the rights they have in the United States as ELLs. Her website is “a place where students, teachers, community members, or anyone else passionate about equity and advocacy for English learners can choose tools that send the message of empowerment. The tools you will find here will help you empower and advocate for your English Learners. These tools are great conversation starters. Engage with your community in courageous conversations! Wear a t-shirt! Start talking! Serve as a “spokesperson for the welfare of all learners in a multicultural context.” In addition to sharing our interview in this podcast, I also share a poem and story which Ruslana sent to me and asked I include in this recording. Many of our classrooms are more diverse than ever, and the information about which Ruslana is passionate to share is critical for us all to understand. In becoming more aware of ELL rights and effective strategies to help second language learners, we can all become better educators for all our students.
- The ELL Bill of Rights by Ruslana Westerlund
- Facebook: Educators of English Learners EELLike
- On Twitter: @EllBillofRights
- My text notes from Ruslana’s 12 Nov 2010 keynote: “English learners in the digital age: natives, immigrants or outsiders”
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Time to SPEAK OUT: Dec 10th OKCPS School Board Meeting - 2012
- Jailbreak Apps Coming to Windows Phone 7 - 2010
- Sting on Risk and Challenge - 2010
- Share the K12Online09 Printable Flyer at your school - 2009
- Lawsuit Fear and Lack of Vision Explain a Lot - 2008
- Welcome to Web 2.0 at SITE 2006 - 2005
- Dropload - 2005
- Faculty professional development models - 2005
- Cheating Guide and WikiBooks - 2005