As 2010 draws to a close, I’m reminded of how sorely inadequate our available Internet infrastructure / bandwidth capacity is in much if not most of the United States. Instead of fiber optic connections with mind blowing data capacities, many of our communities struggle to provide marginally “high speed DSL” for many homes. In some parts of the New England states, dial-up Internet service is still all that is available – even in schools!
When our extended family travels together on holiday, the seven of us can show up with four laptops, three iPhones, two iPads, an iPod Touch and a Wii game system which streams Netflix. The available “free wifi” connection provided by most hotels or condos in the United States is not prepared for the onslaught of bandwidth consumption which these devices can unleash. Of course, vacation should be about much more than consuming as well as publishing media content on our screens, but we do (and are) using our connected media devices when we are away from home as we’ve grown used to doing at home.
What are our government leaders doing to remedy this digital connectivity divide? Not much as far as I can tell. This is a big problem, as well as a major annoyance depending on your location.
Flickr CC Photo via adrienneserra.
– Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Give the Gift of Digital Security to Your Family - 2016
- Register for EdCampOKC 2016 Coming March 5th - 2015
- Exemplary MinecraftEDU Water Challenge Build - 2014
- Google Calendar Appointment Slot Double Booking Mystery - 2012
- WordPress 2.9 adds image editing and video embedding via oEmbed - 2009
- Ustreaming with multiple local mics and remote callers via Skype - 2009
- Discussing eBooks, the Kindle, and the iPhone Amazon Application via Ustream - 2009
- Restored blog access and reflections on the psychology of daily blogging - 2008
- Considering options for a COV digital backpack camera upgrade - 2008
- Novelty and curiosity essential for engagement and learning - 2007