I had an opportunity to put together several pieces of office equipment from IKEA today, including a small bookshelf.
Having put together several fairly complex swing sets as well as desks in the past, I’m a big fan of simple designs. I love how the creators of this bookshelf didn’t make things needlessly complex with too many kinds of screws and dowels.
Some of the swing sets I’ve put together in the past have had a ridiculous number of different screw types and sizes. In those cases, I have to think designers could have simplified things if they’d wanted to and been skilled enough to be able to.
Using a device made by Apple reminds me of well designed furniture from IKEA. The design contributes in huge ways to both the function of the device as well as the pleasure derived from using it.
I love simple, great designs.
– Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Group Building Design Challenge in STEM Class - 2015
- Helping Students Use Creative Commons Images in Presentations - 2014
- Configuring WordPress for Mobile Theme Compatibility with WP-Super Cache - 2010
- Podcast336: Personal Updates and Voices of ACTEM - Talking with Richard Byrne, Bob Sprankle and Kern Kelley - 2010
- Cloud computing lesson from Mobile Me Wrestling: Offline Backups - 2009
- Beware of outdated links and mailto links - 2008
- Political emails fly fast, but are readers validating content? - 2008
- IM on iPhone - 2008
- Podcast215: Technology Shopping Cart Podcast03 - Strategies for Helping Teachers Integrate Technology - 2008
- Student laptops a menace? - 2006