This podcast is a series of recordings from our family’s tour aboard the USS Midway in San Diego, California, on March 17, 2010. The first part is an interview with World War II Navy Ace Ed Wendorf, who scored eight kills in the Pacific theater as a Hellcat pilot. Ed holds the distinction of being the only US Navy pilot in history to make a one eyed, one handed, no hook, no flap, no brake landing on an aircraft carrier. Three weeks later Ed was out of the hospital, back in the cockpit fighting the Japanese in the Pacific skies again. After the interview with Ed, this recording includes several recordings of docents aboard the USS Midway sharing information about the ship and the men who served aboard her. Many thanks to Ed for granting permission for this interview to be recorded and shared. Please take time to thank the military veterans you know and meet, past and present, who have sacrificed so much for our nation.
- USS Midway (official website)
- Photo of Ed Wendorf and our family aboard the USS Midway on March 17, 2010
- More photos above the USS Midway (Flickr set)
- F6F Hellcat at War by Cory Graff
- Hellcat Aces of World War II by Barrett Tillman
- Fuel for Educational Change Agents (my secondary podcast channel)
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Embed Twitter Widget in Dot Net Nuke (DNN) Website - 2015
- Disadvantages of Openly Sharing Media - 2014
- Yukon Students Learning Computer Programming with Scratch - 2013
- Introduction to the Common Core State Standards by Karen Robertson - 2012
- An Iterative Google Search (with advanced options) solves a MS Word File Saving Problem - 2012
- Learning about Glass Blowing in Santa Fe, New Mexico (videos) - 2011
- Good Memories from Denton and UNT - 2011
- Virtual DNA Fingerprinting Lab (1 to 1 Learning in Yarmouth, Maine) - 2011
- Brainstorm & Find Available Websites with DomainStorm - 2011
- Getting Creative with Windows Live Movie Maker on a Netbook - 2010