Does anyone else think it’s ridiculous for Education Week to SELL copies of its 2011 state education report cards for $5 each?
I suppose this is my bias for open, free, accessible academic research showing through. If the creators of this research truly wanted to make a positive impact on the educational landscape, they would find an alternative mechanism to fund their research work other than charging consumers as well as academicians.
Perhaps this is more proof the accountability movement is far more about enriching the bottom lines of corporations than it is about improving learning opportunities for students in our schools.
I’m going to pass on paying for a copy of this report, which I’m confident will basically tell us what we already should know in Oklahoma: Students in our poorest communities score the worst on standardized tests. I don’t need to pay $5 to read another researcher’s support for that thesis.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Check out Wesley's new ebook, "Mapping Media to the Common Core: Volume I." (2013) It's $15!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- EdCampOKC 2013 Organizer Meeting January 10th [ARCHIVED VIDEO] - 2013
- iPhone Mobile Hotspot Capability Coming with iOS 4.3? - 2011
- Time Tracking (time sheet) App for iPhone - 2011
- Observations about Organizational Blogging and Social Media Use - 2011
- Riddikulus! @newsok Please change your policy locking up your archives to paying customers only - 2010
- Oklahoma City NAACP Freedom Center Needs Funds to Remain Open - 2010
- Showing full length copyrighted movies for leadership class - 2010
- Helping students picture themselves at college - 2010
- Wanted: PhotoDropper Macintosh Application - 2009
- It is time to drastically slash the number of state educational standards - 2009