Lifelong learning, continuing education, and CHANGE in the classroom should not be optional for in-service teachers. This past fall, Karen Montgomery shared a story with me she heard from a school administrator in Ohio. That principal tells her staff they have three options when it comes to learning new ways to help students learn, both with and without digital tools. Educators can either:
Retrain, Retire, or Resign.
Sound harsh? It shouldn’t. Continuing education and CHANGE isn’t an option in the medical field, and it shouldn’t be in K-12 or higher education either. While educators at many levels continue to get credit for “seat time” in professional development sessions, some of those educators remain resistant to substantial CHANGES in the ways they learn and help their students learn. This particularly comes to light when mobile learning and 1:1 learning projects are launched.
We all need to keep learning and changing. As long as we’re educators, it’s not optional. Mike Muir refers to the condition of being resistant to educational / learning change as APP: Adult Paradigm Paralysis.
Learn more about Mike’s GREAT ideas about differentiated, engaged, and digitally-powered learning on the January 13th Seedlings podcast!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Why You Should NOT Quit Facebook or Twitter - 2019
- Free Home Internet Filtering option (OpenDNS) - 2014
- Amazing Minecraft Webshows, Music Videos and Parody Animation Videos - 2013
- Trapper's Rendezvous 2012: An iPhone documentary - 2012
- Recoverable and Resumable YouTube Uploads with Chrome and FireFox - 2012
- 7th Regiment Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, Bushwhackers, and Jayhawkers (Kansas in 1861 - 1865) - 2012
- First XtraNormal Video: MySpace Suicide Prevention - 2011
- Netflix streaming coming to the Nintendo Wii - 2010
- Preparing for digital storytelling workshops (Celebrate Oklahoma Voices) - 2009
- ISTEconnects Blog - The Conversations Begin - 2009