This semester for the two “Technology 4 Teachers” sections I’m teaching at the University of Central Oklahoma, I’m having students learn about Google Reader as well as other feed/news aggregators. Their assignment for this week’s class (which we had to hold virtually in Elluminate because of snow days) was to:
- Subscribe to at least ten different web feeds of interest (in Google Reader)
- Create at least two customized Google Alerts and subscribe to those updates using Google Reader
I’m not sure what I want students to do and turn in as a “Google Reader” project, however, so I’m wondering if you have any ideas? Have you assigned a “Google Reader project” to students in the past? If so, what did you have students turn in? It’s possible for students to create a shared bundle of the feeds to which they’ve subscribed, and post that link to our class blog. That would provide proof / evidence that they have successfully subscribed to different feeds. Alec Couros modeled this today in a tweet sharing the blogs of his pre-service education students. I created a bundle like that for my pre-service education students’ blogs last Spring. Do you have other ideas for what a student project / assignment with Google Reader could be?
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Great Class Castle Build in MinecraftEDU - 2015
- Cbus Flex-Gel iPad Cases: Fit Great in a Bretford iPad Cart - 2014
- Toffler on Feeling Overwhelmed (in 1980) - 2013
- Scratch Playing with Media Friday Meetup Cancelled (8 Feb 2013) - 2013
- Playing with FeedWordPress: Planning for the Classroom Newspaper of Now - 2013
- Don't Blame School Officials if Your Child Chooses to Look at Porn on His Laptop - 2012
- Individual vs Team Blogs for PreService Edu Students (Comparing KidBlog & EduBlogs) - 2011
- Dangerous Winter Temperatures - Snow in Houston! - 2011
- IMPACT Oklahoma Grant Workshop 2010 Notes - 2010
- A case study on why team blog MODERATION is essential in schools - 2010