These are my notes from Larry Anderson’s presentation “Podcasting & Mobile Media for Teaching & Learning” at the 2011 Mississippi Educational Computing Association annual conference in Jackson on February 8th. MY THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS ARE IN ALL CAPS. (I AUDIO RECORDED THIS SESSION AND GOT MALIA’S PERMISSION TO SHARE IT LATER AS A PODCAST.)
Why use mobile media and podcasting? I’m after BRAINSPACE for students (to get on their iPad)
– students didn’t have a course on iPod literacy
– do you think kids today had a course on iPods? Of course they didn’t!
We have a lot of devices around us today that help define how we communicate and gather together
– slow is relative
How do we learn?
Video: Cisco Welcome to the Human Network Effect (soccer video)
Showing “guitar” video: >84 million views to date
Now hearing from Helen Mowers, videoconferencing in from Austin, Texas at the TCEA conference
– Helen is a teacher in Killeen, Texas
– last summer they did a 21st Century Learning Conference they called, “We Learn”
Big takeaway from our podcasting experiences over the past 5 years: It’s important to be conversational and natural
– there is a lot of behind-the-scenes prep, but it is not just about scripting
– the medium helps showcase what you know, but also reflect on experiences and ideas to grow in learning
Larry: Their experiences with podcasting shows the vital importance of the teacher’s voice in podcasting
Podcasting is the most democratizing technology, because now everyone can have their own radio station
– podcasting started in 2004
Podcasting is not broadcasting, it is specific: It’s narrowcasting
Always On By Katie Morrow and Michelle Bourgeois
I believe “All Leaders are Reader”
– what are you reading now?
I used LibSyn for podcast hosting ($6 per month for 100 MB of content) – AND LIBSYN IS GREAT FOR PODCASTING SINCE BANDWIDTH IS UNLIMITED
Remember iTunes doesn’t host content outside of iTunesU, it just points to
I checked my podcast subscriptions and I had 7500 subscribers several months ago
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Mapping Media is now Show What You Know with Media - 2015
- An #etmooc Distributed Digital Storytelling Activity about Beauty - 2013
- Embed a MP3 Audio File in a WordPress.com Blog Post - 2012
- Face the Facebook: Implications and Consequences for Educators Using Social Media by Colin Webb - 2012
- Harnessing the Digital Landscape by David Warlick - 2012
- Look at Me Now! Changing the Face of Professional Development - 2012
- Learning About Notetaking on the iPad at @thedivorg via @ipadwithwes - 2012
- The Story of 1:1 Learning in Tupelo, Mississippi #msmeca11 - 2011
- Cartooning Around in Language Arts by Malia Triggs #msmeca11 - 2011
- Choose teaching - 2010