This is a podcast recording of Dr. Carl Owens’ presentation, “Cool Tools for the Classroom,” at the 2011 Mississippi Educational Computing Association annual conference in Jackson on February 8th. Carl is a Professor and the Director of Technology at the College of Education, Tennessee Technological University. The official description of Carl’s session was: The session will explore many new and exciting tools for teachers who are using digital technology in the classroom. Participants will then select tools and explore their uses in the educational environment. These will include digital cameras, digital microscopes, podcasting tools, music creation tools, and a number of applications to enhance teaching and learning.
- College of Education – Tennessee Tech University
- My text notes from Carl’s session
- Bose Companion 5 Multimedia Powered Speaker System
- BassJump Subwoofer
- Snowball mic
- Snowflake mic
- Mikey and Mikey 2 for iOS device recording
- ProScope HR
- ProScope Mobile
- Eye TV Hybrid
- H.264 Video converter with hardware accelerator
- Elegato Video Capture solution
- Cable in the Classroom website
- Radio Shark
- Korg nanoKey
- Pulse LiveScribe SmartPen
- Krown Sign Language Translator
- Sanyo Exacti VPS FH1A DV camera
- Optoma Pico PK-101 DLP data projector
- Facetime video calls
- TTU write-up about Dr. Owens teaching from China
- Griffin USB Battery Pack
- GalaxyTab (Android tablet from Samsung)
- MixCraft (Garageband-like software for Windows OS computers)
- Florida Digital Educators Program
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
Check out Wesley's new ebook, "Mapping Media to the Common Core: Volume I." (2013) It's $15!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Cell Phone Digital Storytelling with Narrable - 2013
- Visualizing Sharing #edushare - 2012
- Create iPad Stories with StoryPatch - 2011
- Cool Tools for the Classroom by Dr Carl Owens #msmeca11 - 2011
- Leading Schools with Digital Vision in a Bubblesheet World (Slidecast) #msmeca11 - 2011
- To what countries have you Skyped? (from Mississippi) #msmeca11 - 2011
- Outsourcing school district IT staff - 2010
- Online learning at Crescent, Oklahoma - 2010
- Teaching more content with an IWB is not transformational - 2010
- Bribery apparently not a "new argument" for the Oklahoma Supreme Court - 2010