Today is another snow day for my girls who attend in Edmond Public Schools, so this morning we spent some time learning more and playing in Scratch. I’m starting a multi-week Scratch unit with my “Technology 4 Teachers” students next week, so I needed to get back into the program and spend some time with it. I showed my girls how to use the “broadcast” tag in Scratch, to setup different scenes which use different backgrounds in a script or trigger simultaneous actions with more than one sprite.
I created the short animated story, “Google Docs Blocked” today in Scratch and shared it (via the program’s provided SHARE option) to my profile page on the Scratch website. It includes 5 sprites and 12 scripts, and shares the website “Balanced Filtering in Schools” as a source of ideas to address this situation.
What have you created lately? If you haven’t already, spend some time creating in Scratch! It’s not only free, it’s also a program with a “low bar and high ceiling” for creativity, as Dr. Mitch Resnik says.
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- How to Enable Comment Moderation on YouTube Videos - 2012
- Publish a Combined iCloud Calendar and Google Calendar - 2012
- Vimeo or YouTube? Where to Post Family Videos? - 2012
- Announcing The Digital Magic Tricks Workshop - 2010
- Great Project Based Learning Resources from the Buck Institute for Education and EduTopia - 2010
- Great quotations about learning with images - 2010
- Summarizing concepts in 5 or 6 images - 2010
- Podcast338: Bring Curriculum Alive with SCRATCH by Susan Andrews and Students - 2010
- SINGing the Praises of NING by Dawn Danker - 2009
- Anonymous Proxies, Spam and Email Archiving Simplified and Explained - 2009