Bill Keller, executive editor of The New York Times, questions the value of “new media content publishers” in his recent op-ed, “All the Aggregation That’s Fit to Aggregate.” For some reason I’m unable to copy text from his article on my iPhone to quote him, so I’ll add the paragraph which got my attention in this regard as an image:
Aggregation and re-sharing of content IS a vital role in today’s “mediasphere,” but we should not mistake all bloggers and social media content sharers for “blog scrapers” who do not create any original content themselves. His main beef seems to be with The Huffington Post, which was purchased (according to Bill in his article) by AOL recently for $315 million.
There are lots of reasons people blog, but many of us do it for the joy of learning and sharing as intrinsically valuable activities. You may have noticed I don’t run any 3rd party ads on my site. My blog is not about ad revenue. It’s about learning, sharing, amplifying good ideas and interacting with others interested in discussing good ideas– usually related to education.
I think Bill paints bloggers and social media sharers with an overly-broad brush in his article. Bloggers are not a monolithic group, and we are certainly all NOT blog scraping pirates.
– Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
Location:Kirby Pkwy,Memphis,United States
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Email Mail Merge Custom PDF Certificates with autoCrat for Google - 2016
- Workflow: Moderate Student Email-Posted Videos to YouTube - 2015
- No-Edit Audio Podcasting Videoconference (referenced links) - 2014
- A Story about Web Accountability and Club Penguin - 2013
- Brookstone Mini-Projector for iPhone4 - 2012
- High Stakes Testing Must End in the USA - 2011
- Local Advocacy Update in Alabama by Bruce Ellard - 2011
- 2011 Alabama Legislative Session Update (10 March) - 2011
- Oklahoma City Podcasting Club - March 2010 Meeting Notes - 2010
- A professor who takes laptop banning too far - 2010