These are my notes from Bruce Ellard’s legislative update presentation at the Alabama Educational Technology Association MidWinter Conference on March 10, 2011. Bruce is the Technology Coordinator at Cullman County Schools, and the Advocacy Chair for AETA. MY THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS ARE IN ALL CAPS.
If we don’t fight for technology funding, who is going to do it?
– we must be the advocates
We are sustaining massive amounts of technology today on just pennies
– reminds me of Jane Austin’s Sense and Sensibility
Lots of funny math going on in our state, our schools and our legislature
We can’t upgrade licenses and maintain computers for 94¢ on the dollar, so what do we do?
Currently EETC is completely eliminated
– use ETAN (EdTech Action Network) and write a couple of lines from your heart, the legislators are not going
Our greatest hope for funding is locally
– building bridges to the money
– building relationships, networking
– identifying where the money is and building that relationship to the money
Where is the money?
– public school funds
– federal programs
– county commission
There is nothing done in any of these categories that we don’t have a hand in
Can you give me a sheet of what you need for technology, so when I go talk to the governor or other policy makers I can show them the impact funding can make
– there are potential funds in property taxes in Alabama
Advocacy is an everyday activity
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Email Mail Merge Custom PDF Certificates with autoCrat for Google - 2016
- Workflow: Moderate Student Email-Posted Videos to YouTube - 2015
- No-Edit Audio Podcasting Videoconference (referenced links) - 2014
- A Story about Web Accountability and Club Penguin - 2013
- Brookstone Mini-Projector for iPhone4 - 2012
- All bloggers are not scrape blog pirates - 2011
- High Stakes Testing Must End in the USA - 2011
- 2011 Alabama Legislative Session Update (10 March) - 2011
- Oklahoma City Podcasting Club - March 2010 Meeting Notes - 2010
- A professor who takes laptop banning too far - 2010