Stan Stamper, editor of the local newspaper in Hugo, Oklahoma, misses the boat big time in his editorial today, “Are we losing the education war?” Education isn’t a war and shouldn’t be construed as such, anymore than our struggles to combat terrorism globally or counter illicit drugs should be. Wrong metaphor, and poor policy recommendations here.This shows what an open door / ripe opportunity we have for those who would seek to shape education reform policy today. I count myself among that number. Stan’s editorial is on:
http://hugonews.wordpress.com/2011/03/14/are-we-losing-the-education-war/ For thoughts on why a “war on terror” is a bad idea, see:
http://www.wesfryer.com/articles/weedthegarden.html For more on drug control policy and war metaphors, see:
http://www.wesfryer.com/drugwar.html For more of my ideas on education reform, see that category of posts here on my blog. I’ll be publishing those aggregated posts soon as an eBook here.
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- STEM Curiosity Links: Episode 1 (A Touchcast Video) - 2014
- Share the Joy of Pi Day Today - 2013
- Your Next Textbook Will be a Palantir - 2012
- Ripping Personally Owned DVDs for iPhone or iPod Viewing: Legal and Technical Perspectives - 2010
- Why We Need Pi - 2009
- Digital Dialog: Join the conversation! - 2007
- Filters and student decision-making - 2006
- Apple Digital Schools - 2006
- Writely goes to Google - 2006
- PodNova and Podcast Subscriptions - 2006