The following five minute video was shared Daniel Wessel, director of technology in Lansing Public Schools, Kansas, at the MACE Conference in Manhattan on March 4, 2011. The video highlights the ways elementary students in Lansing are using iPads and iPod Touches. Many of these are 1st graders in Jessica Asbury’s classroom, who also presented in this MACE session. Jessica is piloting three iPads in her class. I recorded this video during the session with my iPhone4.
One of the most interesting things Dan and Jessica highlighted in their presentation was how important it is for students to work collaboratively using tools like an iPad. Jessica observed in many cases, students will self-select an iPod Touch to work individually on an application or project. Social skills are best developed when students work collaboratively and share a device, as demonstrated in this video. While the goal of 1 to 1 learning is important so EVERY student has an interactive screen just like all students can have pencils today, it’s important to understand the value of SHARING to promote social skill development as well as collaboration.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Mission to Mars STEM Camp for Teachers: June 6-9, 2016 - 2016
- Tornado Season is Here But Don't Look For an Oklahoma City Public Storm Shelter - 2014
- FOCU$ on Education Conference April 9th in 7 Oklahoma Locations - 2013
- Great American Teach In: Speak Out On Educational Rights - 2011
- Learn about Apps for iPad, iPhone & iPod Touch in Oklahoma City April 15th - 2011
- Kids are the real customers in schools: We need to LISTEN to them! - 2011
- Focus on Creating New Things, Not Just Fixing Broken Old Stuff - 2011
- Our iPad Launch Day Adventure: A Photo Essay - 2010
- The Tyranny of Oil, The Danger of Unregulated Markets, Power, and Populism - 2009
- Amazed by the power of mobile applications - 2008