The following five minute video was shared Daniel Wessel, director of technology in Lansing Public Schools, Kansas, at the MACE Conference in Manhattan on March 4, 2011. The video highlights the ways elementary students in Lansing are using iPads and iPod Touches. Many of these are 1st graders in Jessica Asbury’s classroom, who also presented in this MACE session. Jessica is piloting three iPads in her class. I recorded this video during the session with my iPhone4.
One of the most interesting things Dan and Jessica highlighted in their presentation was how important it is for students to work collaboratively using tools like an iPad. Jessica observed in many cases, students will self-select an iPod Touch to work individually on an application or project. Social skills are best developed when students work collaboratively and share a device, as demonstrated in this video. While the goal of 1 to 1 learning is important so EVERY student has an interactive screen just like all students can have pencils today, it’s important to understand the value of SHARING to promote social skill development as well as collaboration.
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Tornado Season is Here But Don't Look For an Oklahoma City Public Storm Shelter - 2014
- FOCU$ on Education Conference April 9th in 7 Oklahoma Locations - 2013
- Great American Teach In: Speak Out On Educational Rights - 2011
- Learn about Apps for iPad, iPhone & iPod Touch in Oklahoma City April 15th - 2011
- Kids are the real customers in schools: We need to LISTEN to them! - 2011
- Focus on Creating New Things, Not Just Fixing Broken Old Stuff - 2011
- Our iPad Launch Day Adventure: A Photo Essay - 2010
- The Tyranny of Oil, The Danger of Unregulated Markets, Power, and Populism - 2009
- Amazed by the power of mobile applications - 2008
- links for 2008-04-04 - 2008