The Puffin Web Browser is a 99 cent application for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch which (unlike the default Safari web browser) supports Flash content. This means users can not only play fullscreen Flash videos natively on their iOS devices, it also means many Flash-based online games can be played.
I first tested the Puffin browser on my iPhone tonight on the Celebrate Oklahoma Voices Ning website.
I was delighted to be able to view the Flash videos on the site on my iPhone.
This functionality is the same as the $3 Skyfire app provides. Skyfire does not support Flash-based websites like Club Penguin, however. The Puffin Web Browser does!
The only other app I’ve used to-date which supports Flash content like Puffin is CloudBrowse. CloudBrowse is not a local web browser like Puffin, however. It connects to a virtual computer (online in the cloud) running a desktop version of the FireFox web browser. It initially came in a free version, but that app is no longer supported.
The new, $3 version of CloudBrowse provides 10 minutes of web surfing per session. If you want longer sessions, a monthly subscription is required.
For the money it looks like The Puffin Browser is a better choice over CloudBrowse. Puffin is 99 cents and no subscription is required for unlimited surfing.
Be aware apps like CloudBrowse function similarly to an anonymous proxy service, so it can bypass local content filters. CloudBrowse is therefore not an application most schools will opt to install or formally support.
Documentation for The Puffin Browser indicates some websites, like Hulu, are NOT supported. I’m sure Hulu is keen for users to use THEIR app instead with a Hulu Plus subscription.
Hat tip to Kiwi educator Andrew Churches for sharing The Puffin Web Browser.
– Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- RATs, WebCams & Online Predators: More Reasons to Ditch Windows-based PCs Forever - 2013
- Radio Spot for iPad With Wes Workshop in Oklahoma City: Friday, September 14th - 2012
- Ways to Subscribe to a Blog in Google Reader on an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch - 2011
- Multiple Choice Testing on an iPod Touch with NearPod - 2011
- Do You Realize? (21st Century Education in New Brunswick, Canada) - 2010
- A gaggle of AudioBoos from the Oklahoma City Zoo - 2009
- MNet Social Safety Resources - 2008
- Podcast180: Conversations about Digital Social Networking and Internet Safety - 2007
- Download offline copy of a VoiceThread digital story? - 2007
- Fun with 43 places, 43 things - 2005