These are my notes from the August 29, 2011, OKC WordPress meetup. MY THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS ARE IN ALL CAPS.
The div (thediv.org) is a nonprofit foundation created by iThemes to help train a local workforce in Edmond, OKlahoma for web development
– this space is available for meet ups in tech
– want to promote web-tech creativity and innovation
– grand opening was just last week
– Ruby on Rails group is meeting here next week
– this is a free, community-based space
Thursday is a co-working day: come in and co-work
– formula is simple: put good geeks in a room together and cool stuff is bound to bubble up
MY COMMENT: THIS IS VERY INTERESTING AND EXCITING. REMINDS ME OF THE “The Oklahoma City Coworking Collaborative” BUT THE DIV IS COMMERCIALLY SPONSORED AND NOT AS FOCUSED ON CO-WORKING. GOAL OF FOSTERING A SUPPORTIVE COMMUNITY OF GEEKS / CODERS IS SIMILAR. GREAT TO SEE THIS IN OKC METRO AREA!
Some websites of attendees at tonight’s meet up (about 40 people here in all!)
– m1k3.net (website of Michael Dick, who among other projects designed the mobile website for Mashable.com – WOW!
1st topic tonight: iThemes Builder
presentation by Chris Jean, who has worked for iThemes for 3 years
Builder was developed because of customer requests to make tweaks/changes and especially specific requests for customizations in WordPress
– our initial effort was Flex to let people control more options/customizations
– Builder uses layouts
It’s hard to make a Buddypress compatible theme, so at this point Builder is not Buddypress-compatible
MY COMMENT: IT’S GREAT TO HAVE THE EXPERTISE OF THE iTHEMES GUYS LIKE CHRIS HERE. IT HAS FELT AT LEAST A FEW TIMES IN THE PAST (AND TONIGHT) LIKE THIS WORDPRESS MEETUP IS MORE OF A MARKETING OPPORTUNITY FOR iTHEMES THAN AN OPPORTUNITY FOR WORDPRESS USERS TO SHOW STUFF TO EACH OTHER…
Topic 2: Now hearing an overview of Backup Buddy
– lets you backup your WordPress installation to various spots in the cloud, including AmazonS3, DropBox, etc.
BackupBuddy includes a malware scan – SWEET!
Avoid free themes & plugins 4 #wordpress from hedgy / suspicious looking sites, malware is also distributed via downloads #wordpressOKC #fb
Many #wordpress malware instances come from PCs that have malware, when people use FTP, it injects malware into a theme
MY COMMENT: I’VE HEARD ABOUT BACKUPBUDDY MULTIPLE TIMES, SEEN IT DEMOED… I REALLY NEED TO BUY IT AND USE IT.
Topic #3 is Loop Buddy
but first: quick demo of WP Ajax Edit Comments (Users can edit their own comments for a limited time, while admins can edit all comments)
Loop Buddy: “With LoopBuddy, you can modify the behavior and appearance of this Loop without touching a single line of code.”
MY COMMENT: UNFORTUNATELY I HAVE TO BAIL OUT A BIT EARLY TO PICK UP AT SCOUTS. GREAT MEETUP TONIGHT, I DEFINITELY NEED TO PAY AND USE BACKUPBUDDY! I’M EYEING THE DEVELOPER SUITE…
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Considering Audience and Purpose for Classroom Websites - 2017
- Audio Podcasting Workflows (August 2016) - 2016
- 70 iPad Apps for Elementary STEM - 2014
- Copyright Infringement Claims Lead to Suspension of Legoboy YouTube Channels - 2011
- Storychasing Follow Me Sunday with an iPad2 and iRig Mic - 2011
- Podcast356: Discussing EV (Electric Vehicle) Technology and Plugin Hybrids with Nathan Parrow of Oklahoma Robotics LLC - 2010
- Laptop Learning in Massachusetts: BYOL on the horizon? - 2010
- eBook Resources (for iPhone users and others) - 2009
- Podcast328: Students as Self-Advocates: Why/How Learners Should Craft Their Own Digital Footprints (Ginger Lumen) - 2009
- Akismet spam delete all problem fixed - 2008