These are my notes from the August 29, 2011, OKC WordPress meetup. MY THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS ARE IN ALL CAPS.
The div (thediv.org) is a nonprofit foundation created by iThemes to help train a local workforce in Edmond, OKlahoma for web development
- this space is available for meet ups in tech
- want to promote web-tech creativity and innovation
- grand opening was just last week
- Ruby on Rails group is meeting here next week
- this is a free, community-based space
Thursday is a co-working day: come in and co-work
- formula is simple: put good geeks in a room together and cool stuff is bound to bubble up
MY COMMENT: THIS IS VERY INTERESTING AND EXCITING. REMINDS ME OF THE “The Oklahoma City Coworking Collaborative” BUT THE DIV IS COMMERCIALLY SPONSORED AND NOT AS FOCUSED ON CO-WORKING. GOAL OF FOSTERING A SUPPORTIVE COMMUNITY OF GEEKS / CODERS IS SIMILAR. GREAT TO SEE THIS IN OKC METRO AREA!
Some websites of attendees at tonight’s meet up (about 40 people here in all!)
- m1k3.net (website of Michael Dick, who among other projects designed the mobile website for Mashable.com – WOW!
1st topic tonight: iThemes Builder
presentation by Chris Jean, who has worked for iThemes for 3 years
Builder was developed because of customer requests to make tweaks/changes and especially specific requests for customizations in WordPress
- our initial effort was Flex to let people control more options/customizations
- Builder uses layouts
It’s hard to make a Buddypress compatible theme, so at this point Builder is not Buddypress-compatible
MY COMMENT: IT’S GREAT TO HAVE THE EXPERTISE OF THE iTHEMES GUYS LIKE CHRIS HERE. IT HAS FELT AT LEAST A FEW TIMES IN THE PAST (AND TONIGHT) LIKE THIS WORDPRESS MEETUP IS MORE OF A MARKETING OPPORTUNITY FOR iTHEMES THAN AN OPPORTUNITY FOR WORDPRESS USERS TO SHOW STUFF TO EACH OTHER…
Topic 2: Now hearing an overview of Backup Buddy
- lets you backup your WordPress installation to various spots in the cloud, including AmazonS3, DropBox, etc.
BackupBuddy includes a malware scan – SWEET!
Avoid free themes & plugins 4 #wordpress from hedgy / suspicious looking sites, malware is also distributed via downloads #wordpressOKC #fb
Many #wordpress malware instances come from PCs that have malware, when people use FTP, it injects malware into a theme
MY COMMENT: I’VE HEARD ABOUT BACKUPBUDDY MULTIPLE TIMES, SEEN IT DEMOED… I REALLY NEED TO BUY IT AND USE IT.
Topic #3 is Loop Buddy
but first: quick demo of WP Ajax Edit Comments (Users can edit their own comments for a limited time, while admins can edit all comments)
Loop Buddy: “With LoopBuddy, you can modify the behavior and appearance of this Loop without touching a single line of code.”
MY COMMENT: UNFORTUNATELY I HAVE TO BAIL OUT A BIT EARLY TO PICK UP AT SCOUTS. GREAT MEETUP TONIGHT, I DEFINITELY NEED TO PAY AND USE BACKUPBUDDY! I’M EYEING THE DEVELOPER SUITE…
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Copyright Infringement Claims Lead to Suspension of Legoboy YouTube Channels - 2011
- Storychasing Follow Me Sunday with an iPad2 and iRig Mic - 2011
- Podcast356: Discussing EV (Electric Vehicle) Technology and Plugin Hybrids with Nathan Parrow of Oklahoma Robotics LLC - 2010
- Laptop Learning in Massachusetts: BYOL on the horizon? - 2010
- eBook Resources (for iPhone users and others) - 2009
- Podcast328: Students as Self-Advocates: Why/How Learners Should Craft Their Own Digital Footprints (Ginger Lumen) - 2009
- Akismet spam delete all problem fixed - 2008
- Live tweeting back to school night - 2008
- "Prince Caspian" and the Return to Narnia: Making the Journey to Literacy Through Fantasy - 2007
- My podcast web feed is FIXED! - 2007