On April 16, 1921, Oren Lee Peters was born in Edmond, Oklahoma. He served as a soldier in the US Army and the Oklahoma National Guard in both World War II and Korea. After returning from World War II, he finished his senior year of high school but also served as the coach of his football team in Edmond! Oren Lee turned 90 this year, and on April 13th I had an opportunity to interview him about his life. Our interview lasted four hours! I intend to create at least one shorter, digital story with photos and some of the audio from our interview in the next few months.
Today (at long last) I published the unedited audio from our interview as two separate podcasts:
Oren Lee Peters – Stories of My Life (part 1 of 2) – 3 hours, 16 minutes
Oren Lee Peters – Stories of My Life (part 2 of 2) – 43 minutes
For more background about Oren Lee, see the August 2011 Edmond Sun article, “Edmond hero to enter military hall” and July 2008 Edmond Life and Leisure magazine article, “Community enriched by Oren Lee Peters – Top monthly senior volunteer has a history of making a difference.” Oren Lee is a lifetime Boy Scout and continues to serve our community through scouting. The following video of Oren Lee at the Campmaster 50th Anniversary Banquet features more of his storytelling.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Presentation Tips and Podcast Conference Learning - 2019
- Create a Maze Game in PBS Scratch Jr - 2016
- Lesson Idea: Analyze Political Fundraising Statistics with Comparative Ratios - 2012
- Sounds of My World - My new sound blog - 2011
- Bypassing draconian Chinese Internet content filtering #learning2cn - 2010
- Great student project examples, lesson ideas and links integrating media #learning2cn - 2010
- Thinking about dark matter, the origins and size of the universe - 2009
- Delete multiple (or all) photos from an iPhone or iTouch with Image Capture - 2009
- Hello from Hong Kong - 2009
- Flip Video First Impressions - 2008