Today we cancelled our family trial subscription to Hulu Plus. Last week I shared my excitement at being able to use the free Hulu Plus iPad app and “mirror” from an iPad2 on Apple TV to watch TV programs on our television. In the end, however, the regular ADVERTISING in Hulu Plus (along with the additional monthly cost) proved too disagreeable to justify continuing our trial subscription. (Clarification: My wife and kids are the primary consumers of TV shows in our house. I watch every once in awhile, but not very often. I’m much more of a movie guy.)
Before our online cancellation request went through, Hulu tried one last time to keep us as subscribers.
Hulu also gave us a parting survey to explain why we cancelled.
After almost a year of NOT having cable TV at home and watching mainly Netflix programs, our family has become really sensitized to television commercials. The movie theater is about the only place we see ads anymore, before the feature film begins. Hulu and Hulu Plus may be cutting edge, Internet-based television… but it’s based in part on a “business-as-usual” model of force-feeding ads to customers. Having tasted ad-free movie and television program watching, however, it’s almost impossible to “go back” and accept so much forced advertising.
Bottom line: We reject Hulu and Hulu Plus because we dislike forced advertising. We’re sticking with Netflix!
Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Entrepreneurial Traits and Skills To Nurture in 2012 - 2012
- Tweets and Photos from Astronauts in Space: Consider the Possibilities! - 2011
- Welcome to Yarmouth High School: 8 Years of Successful 1:1 Learning - 2011
- K12Online09 on The Heartland Flyer - 2010
- Webapps as desktop apps with Prism and Fluid (site specific browsers - SSBs) - 2009
- Dinosaurs in Oklahoma and our initial museum iPod audio tour experience - 2009
- Updated content filtering wiki page - 2008
- Podcast213: Comparing Parental Control Options in Windows Vista and Mac OS 10.5 Leopard - 2008
- Home Internet Content filtering needs: Solved with OpenDNS - 2008
- Rachel featured on VoiceThread - 2008