Last week at our Apple Store in Oklahoma City I met Tyler Garcia. He recently graduated from the Academy of Contemporary Music at the University of Central Oklahoma with an associates degree. He loves music and making digital music, and told me about a very innovative homework assignment he completed for one of his classes that he’s shared on SoundCloud. His instructor asked students to create an original song using sounds they found “out in the world.” Tyler recorded different sounds in his kitchen using GarageBand for iPad, and then sequenced as well as tweaked them to create a song which he shared via SoundCloud. What a great example of musical creativity!
Tyler’s description of GarageBand for iPad‘s ability to record songs and then make them available as transposable loops really intrigues me. I need to spend some time playing with it! Kudos to Tyler for sharing this fun project idea, and to the instructors and professors at UCO’s Academy of Contemporary Music!
I’m presenting a couple workshops at the Heartland eLearning Conference March 4-5, 2012, which will explore ways to use the iPad to record and share media. If you live in or near central Oklahoma, please plan to join us in Edmond for this great conference!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Design Thinking Takeaways from Our #k12onlineconf Panel - 2017
- Save YouTube Videos to iPad Camera Roll for Green Screen Compositing - 2016
- Transition to Common Core Standards by Jan Hoegh (2 of 2) - 2012
- Transition to Common Core Standards by Jan Hoegh (1 of 2) - 2012
- Manage Podcasts WITHOUT an iTunes Sync Using Podcaster - 2011
- Podcast 368: Learning in a Networked World: For Our Students and For Ourselves by Will Richardson - 2011
- Oklahoma's New K12 Educational Leader (Janet Barresi) Models Social Media Use - 2011
- Offline, mobile-friendly webpages on an iPhone or iPod Touch - 2010
- Find your iTunes App Library on Appolicious and Share your iPhone Apps - 2010
- From One Computer Lab to 1:1 - Best Practices of Technology Integration by Katie Bader and Diane Bilcer - 2010