Last week at our Apple Store in Oklahoma City I met Tyler Garcia. He recently graduated from the Academy of Contemporary Music at the University of Central Oklahoma with an associates degree. He loves music and making digital music, and told me about a very innovative homework assignment he completed for one of his classes that he’s shared on SoundCloud. His instructor asked students to create an original song using sounds they found “out in the world.” Tyler recorded different sounds in his kitchen using GarageBand for iPad, and then sequenced as well as tweaked them to create a song which he shared via SoundCloud. What a great example of musical creativity!
Tyler’s description of GarageBand for iPad‘s ability to record songs and then make them available as transposable loops really intrigues me. I need to spend some time playing with it! Kudos to Tyler for sharing this fun project idea, and to the instructors and professors at UCO’s Academy of Contemporary Music!
I’m presenting a couple workshops at the Heartland eLearning Conference March 4-5, 2012, which will explore ways to use the iPad to record and share media. If you live in or near central Oklahoma, please plan to join us in Edmond for this great conference!
Did you know Wes has published 3 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Transition to Common Core Standards by Jan Hoegh (2 of 2) - 2012
- Transition to Common Core Standards by Jan Hoegh (1 of 2) - 2012
- Manage Podcasts WITHOUT an iTunes Sync Using Podcaster - 2011
- Podcast 368: Learning in a Networked World: For Our Students and For Ourselves by Will Richardson - 2011
- Oklahoma's New K12 Educational Leader (Janet Barresi) Models Social Media Use - 2011
- Offline, mobile-friendly webpages on an iPhone or iPod Touch - 2010
- Find your iTunes App Library on Appolicious and Share your iPhone Apps - 2010
- From One Computer Lab to 1:1 - Best Practices of Technology Integration by Katie Bader and Diane Bilcer - 2010
- Podcast220V: Cleaning Up Downloaded Podcasts with Juice Receiver - 2008
- Podcast 120: Using Flickr and Bubbleshare for Digital Storytelling and Collaborative Projects - 2007