The ten minute video, “Hearing Student Voices,” by National Writing Project 1st grade teacher, Renee Webster, provides a fantastic window into the ways a skilled and sensitive teacher can use simple audio recorders to transform reading and writing experiences for students.
The technology tools in this case, digital voice recorders, ARE important for the learning which took place in Renee’s classroom. They are NOT, however, the factor which makes the biggest difference. As I noted in last month’s post, “Remember TEACHERS Make the Biggest Difference, Not Devices,” the WAYS teachers choose to invite students to use technology tools are most important when it comes to learning and achievement. Yes, having access to digital tools IS important. We must remember to focus on the PEDAGOGY more than the tools, however, as we discuss and highlight effective uses of educational technology. Renee’s video is a beautiful example of this.
I found this video today when I was researching links to add to a new page on the Storychasers’ website: Storychaser School Clubs.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Batting 1-1 With Three More Pitches Coming - 2016
- Student iPad Radio Shows Shared on YouTube - 2015
- Spots Still Available for Google Summit in OKC: Feb 21-22 - 2015
- Stuff I Want to Share at OTA - Encyclo-Media 2012 - 2012
- Rupert Murdoch's Vision is Wrong - 2011
- Creation Requires Influence: Understanding Remix Power in Star Wars - 2011
- Podcast337: Evangelizing Educational Transformation and 1:1 Learning in Iowa Schools - 2010
- Student voices in the Iowa legislature - 2010
- Podcast300: Educator Voices from the eTechOhio 2009 Conference - 2009
- How to Create a Great PowerPoint Without Breaking the Law: Take 2.0 by Alvin Trusty - 2009