This podcast is a recording of Wesley Fryer’s keynote address on March 3, 2012, at the Enhancing Teaching & Learning Conference hosted by the Kansas City Professional Development Council in Kansas City, Missouri. The session description was: Interested in helping students become better readers, writers, and critical thinkers? We need to “play with media” to become more effective communicators and improve our media literacy skills as both learners and citizens. As you learn to play with digital text, images, audio and video, you will communicate more creatively and flexibly with a wider variety of options. Author and educator Wesley Fryer will inspire and empower you, as a creative person, to expand your personal senses of digital literacy and digital agency as a multimedia communicator! Refer to the podcast shownotes for links to referenced videos and resources, as well as the presentation slides on SlideShare.
- Presentation slides available via SlideShare
- Waldseemüller map (English WikiPedia)
- NMC Horizon Report: 2012 Higher Education Edition (YouTube video summary)
- Image Resources from PlayingWithMedia.com
- Jose Bowen, Dean of SMU’s Meadows School of the Arts (YouTube video from August 2010)
- US in a converging world, Hans Rosling on CNN – Fareed Zakaria using GapMinder visualization videos (5.5 min YouTube video)
- Additional presentation links available on Wesley’s professional wiki
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- EduBrawl! Pros Debate Mobile, Flipped and Games - 2013
- iPad: A Tool for Differentiation (in a primary classroom) #mace11 #edapp - 2011
- The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Founding Fathers (a book club discussion) - 2010
- Two Flowers Unblocks Ning - 2010
- Web 2.0 Projects by Laura Sadler #mace2010 - 2010
- Cell Phones R 4 More Than Texting: Let's plan for them, not ban them! - 2010
- Free Resources from Discovery Education #mace2010 - 2010
- Janet Wozniak: Think back to the reason you got into education: To change the world - 2010
- It takes leadership to get creative in schools and support the use of Skype - 2010
- Kansas Memory: Real Stories, Real People #mace2010 - 2010