This 11 minute audio podcast is an interview with Adam Zodrow about the amazing lesson plans and free resources available from the K20ALT (Authentic Teaching and Learning) website: http://k20alt.ou.edu. Adam is currently a fulltime librarian in Yukon Public Schools, Oklahoma, but previously worked on staff at the K-20 Center at the University of Oklahoma. His description of the hands-on STEM project K20ALT educators designed and facilitated in Vinita, Oklahoma, is amazing. I highly encourage everyone to check out the videos of that project specifically. It’s not every day you learn about a hands-on STEM project in which students learn how to create electricity from wind energy using a dowel-rod / CD / magnet dynamo built for $15 each. The K20ALT educators are incredibly smart and innovative and they’ve got a ton to teach us. What a bummer the primary funding for this project was cut by Oklahoma State Superintendent Janet Barresi in her first state budget of 2011. Hopefully creative souls will find ways to keep the K20ALT lights (and website) shining. There are great resources on their site. Find Adam on Twitter @zodzilla.
Podcast playback / download options:
- Direct mp3 link
- Play on the “Fuel for Educational Change Agents” podcast
- Flash mp3 audio player:
Check out the incredible Interdisciplinary Wind Energy Unit: Sweeping Down the Plains!
Did you know Wes has published 3 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- March is Teen DIY Tech Month at OKC Metro Libraries - 2014
- The Legacy of Sandy Garrett in Oklahoma: A Case Study of "Whistleblower Needed" - 2012
- Summarizing the 2011 MACE Keynote with Mobile Video and Glogster - 2011
- Presentation Links from the 2011 Heartland eLearning Conference #heartlandconf11 - 2011
- The Visions of Students Today by @mwesch #heartlandconf11 - 2011
- How to Boil the Ocean: Lessons of Blogging for Online Discussions by @berlinf #heartlandconf11 - 2011
- Cloudy is a Good Thing!: Enhancing Instruction with Tools from the Cloud #heartlandconf11 - 2011
- Michael Wesch Keynote at 2011 Heartland eLearning Conference #heartlandconf11 - 2011
- Don't just blame the kids: Adults face social media challenges too - 2010
- Writing Essays and Creating New Games: Things We Should Do on Netbooks - 2010