This 11 minute audio podcast is an interview with Adam Zodrow about the amazing lesson plans and free resources available from the K20ALT (Authentic Teaching and Learning) website: http://k20alt.ou.edu. Adam is currently a fulltime librarian in Yukon Public Schools, Oklahoma, but previously worked on staff at the K-20 Center at the University of Oklahoma. His description of the hands-on STEM project K20ALT educators designed and facilitated in Vinita, Oklahoma, is amazing. I highly encourage everyone to check out the videos of that project specifically. It’s not every day you learn about a hands-on STEM project in which students learn how to create electricity from wind energy using a dowel-rod / CD / magnet dynamo built for $15 each. The K20ALT educators are incredibly smart and innovative and they’ve got a ton to teach us. What a bummer the primary funding for this project was cut by Oklahoma State Superintendent Janet Barresi in her first state budget of 2011. Hopefully creative souls will find ways to keep the K20ALT lights (and website) shining. There are great resources on their site. Find Adam on Twitter @zodzilla.
Podcast playback / download options:
- Direct mp3 link
- Play on the “Fuel for Educational Change Agents” podcast
- Flash mp3 audio player:
Check out the incredible Interdisciplinary Wind Energy Unit: Sweeping Down the Plains!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- March is Teen DIY Tech Month at OKC Metro Libraries - 2014
- The Legacy of Sandy Garrett in Oklahoma: A Case Study of "Whistleblower Needed" - 2012
- Summarizing the 2011 MACE Keynote with Mobile Video and Glogster - 2011
- Presentation Links from the 2011 Heartland eLearning Conference #heartlandconf11 - 2011
- The Visions of Students Today by @mwesch #heartlandconf11 - 2011
- How to Boil the Ocean: Lessons of Blogging for Online Discussions by @berlinf #heartlandconf11 - 2011
- Cloudy is a Good Thing!: Enhancing Instruction with Tools from the Cloud #heartlandconf11 - 2011
- Michael Wesch Keynote at 2011 Heartland eLearning Conference #heartlandconf11 - 2011
- Don't just blame the kids: Adults face social media challenges too - 2010
- Writing Essays and Creating New Games: Things We Should Do on Netbooks - 2010