This is a video response by Dr. Wesley Fryer to ideas and proposals shared at the Oklahoma Digital Learning Summit on Friday, April 20, 2012. This event was hosted by the Oklahoma State Department of Education. In addition to praising many of the ideas and proposals discussed by conference keynoters and sponsors, Dr. Fryer offers four specific suggestions for policy changes as Oklahoma moves forward with digital learning initiatives:
- Online testing isn’t the reason to go 1 to 1
- We need to SUPPORT and pay teachers in Oklahoma MORE
- We need to embrace BALANCED ASSESSMENT in Oklahoma schools (including digital portfolios, and reject high stakes testing)
- We must specifically address the challenges of POVERTY together
The video runs just over 30 minutes long.
The referenced video cautioning us to be mindful of “public education” and wary of the “gold rush” for online virtual charter schools is:
The following posts by Wes from the digital learning summit are available:
- Opening Remarks by Janet Barresi: Oklahoma Digital Learning Summit
- Transitioning from Print to a Digital Learning Ecosystem by Richard Culatta
- Conversations about Quality Content in Online / Blended Learning Contexts: 19 April 2012
- Conversations about Quality Content in Online / Blended Learning Contexts: 20 April 2012
- Closing Session Recommendations & Learning Points: 2012 Oklahoma Digital Learning Summit
- Oklahoma Digital Learning Summit 2012: In Tweets
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Meet New OKCPS Superintendent: Rob Neu (April 2014) - 2014
- Paper Slide Video: Your Next (or First) BYOD Technology Integration Project - 2013
- Digitally Resurrecting the 1957 Wyoming 4A Football Finals - 2011
- A morning of Skype connections - 2010
- Go Green! Go Electric! (A Film on the Fly! Earth Day Video) - 2009
- Can we fathom the reality of the Katrina disaster? - 2008
- Video Media Server RFP - 2008