A few weeks ago one of the guys in my Friday morning men’s group at our church shared a touching video on YouTube as part of his lesson. This seven minute video was created by an student in Oklahoma who has gone through an incredible number of surgeries since she was born. It is difficult to imagine the struggles which she and her family have been through, and the challenges she still faces as a young person today. This is the first video I’ve seen by someone who is sharing a sign language performance of a song. In this case, the song is “No More Night” by David Phelps. The lyrics are powerful. The chorus is:
No more night. No more pain.
No more tears. Never crying again.
And praises to the great “I AM.”
We will live in the light of the risen Lamb.
In the comments below the video, YouTube user Cathie Eason wrote:
This is my sister Whitney Shields, if you wonder who I am as a person & you cant figure me out. Well, all I have? to say is you would only be blessed to have such a courageous young woman in your life like I do. Her biological parents Christy Shields & Russell Shields were my foster parents adopted ME when no one else wanted me.
Contrast this video with a live performance of the song by the original performer, David Phelps. I think Whitney’s sign language version is more powerful. Behold, the power of YouTube and online video to constructively amplify a young voice. Wow. If you take a few minutes to watch Whitney’s video, please leave her a supportive comment on YouTube.
I added this video to the digital storytelling project, “3 Minutes About Jesus,” which started in December 2010. I’m presenting about this project in a breakout session titled, “Be a Digital Witness for Jesus” at the 2011 MoRanch Men’s Conference in Hunt, Texas, next Saturday.
Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Using iPadio to Create a Final Exam Study Guide Phonecast - 2011
- What I Hope You Learned (A Technology 4 Teachers Pecha Kutcha Presentation) - 2010
- Podcast347: Be The Change You Want To See In Schools #i11i #vanmeter - 2010
- Graffiti at Classen SAS - 2010
- Day 2 of SMART Notebook training at CSD - 2009
- Visualizing Progress - 2009
- Podcast250: An Overview of Streaming Video Formats, Standards, Technologies, and Considerations from John Copeland of VBrick - 2008
- Podcast249: Pimp My Ride (digitally) Southeast Oklahoma Style (An Interview with Lance Ford: Mac Jedi) - 2008
- The Mac Jedi's Homebrew Mobile Commander - 2008
- Accordent product solutions for lecture capture - 2008