Question: I’m using an iPad to try and view an eBook created by a student with the Book Creator app. The finished eBook is posted on Posterous.com. It downloaded to my iPad and shows up in the iBooks app, but it won’t open. What should I do?
Answer: Whenever an app on an iPad acts quirky, one of the first things you can try is quitting the actual application and re-opening it. When you leave an app to return to the home screen, the app is still running in the background. To actually quit an application entirely on an iPad or other iOS device:
- Double click (press twice) the Home button on the front of the iPad to return to the home screen. This will show you the applications running currently.
- Touch and hold down on one of the icons. All the icons should then start to shake or jiggle, and a red “-” sign (minus sign) will show up in the upper left corner of each one.
- Press the red minus sign in the upper left corner of the jiggling app you want to quit.
- Press the Home button to stop the apps from shaking/jiggling and return to normal iPad functions.
- Navigate to the app on your Home screen and touch it to open it again. Hopefully the app will then function normally.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Pocket Share Jesus (May 2017) - 2017
- Basic Online Video Editing with YouTube - 2012
- FaceTime from the Michigan Avenue Apple Store - 2011
- Using the iReporter Theme on iMovie for iPad - 2011
- Window Washer on a Chicago Skyscraper - 2011
- iPad2 Mobile Interview with iRig Microphone - 2011
- Embedding "non-iframe" versions of Screenr Screencasts on WordPress - 2011
- Best News Apps for the iPad - 2010
- Hobo Signs, Symbols, and Parodied History - 2009
- K12Online08 Call for Proposals: Amplifying Possibilities - 2008