Yesterday in the pre-conference workshop, “Digital Storytelling for Tribal Cultural Institutions” at the 2012 International Conference of Indigenous Archives, Libraries, and Museums in Tulsa, Oklahoma, participants created the following 2.5 minute video addressing the question, “Why Is Storytelling Important?” Workshop participants recorded the video using an iPad and iRig microphone. I combined and edited the video clips in iMovie for iPad, but since the iPad version of iMovie doesn’t yet support “cutaway” still image inserts (b-roll images) I added a few of those using iMovie ’11 on my Macbook Air.
The next time I help participants create a video like this in a workshop on an iPad, we’ll get the iPad camera closer to each speaker and capture more of a “head and shoulders” shot of each person (more closely cropped) than the shots we captured in this video. Even though this isn’t ‘perfect’ and we certainly could have improved on the video with more time, I think it was positive to create the video during the afternoon workshop and demonstrate this ability to create “quick edit videos” using mobile devices like the iPad. I also demonstrated the creation of a narrated slideshow using the “Explain Everything” app, sharing some information about the Devon Boat House and Chasapeake Finish Line Tower in Oklahoma City from last Friday’s Creativity Institute.
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Balancing Choice and Freedom for Happiness and Satisfaction - 2016
- The Story of My Dad's Photo with President Kennedy - 2013
- Digitizing Vintage Photographic Negatives and Prints - 2012
- Artistic Creativity by Bunky Echo-Hawk at the Hard Rock Hotel in Tulsa #atalm12 - 2012
- AT&T ends unlimited iPhone data plans - 2010
- Apple pulled PixelPipe app in March 2010 - 2010
- NCLB damages US education by narrowing the curriculum - 2010
- Thanks Project Gutenberg for underwriting our 6th grade summer reading list - 2009
- The Power of a Well-Read Blog and the Adventures of Google Earth Girl - 2008
- New videos to share with educators - 2007