Yesterday in the pre-conference workshop, “Digital Storytelling for Tribal Cultural Institutions” at the 2012 International Conference of Indigenous Archives, Libraries, and Museums in Tulsa, Oklahoma, participants created the following 2.5 minute video addressing the question, “Why Is Storytelling Important?” Workshop participants recorded the video using an iPad and iRig microphone. I combined and edited the video clips in iMovie for iPad, but since the iPad version of iMovie doesn’t yet support “cutaway” still image inserts (b-roll images) I added a few of those using iMovie ’11 on my Macbook Air.
The next time I help participants create a video like this in a workshop on an iPad, we’ll get the iPad camera closer to each speaker and capture more of a “head and shoulders” shot of each person (more closely cropped) than the shots we captured in this video. Even though this isn’t ‘perfect’ and we certainly could have improved on the video with more time, I think it was positive to create the video during the afternoon workshop and demonstrate this ability to create “quick edit videos” using mobile devices like the iPad. I also demonstrated the creation of a narrated slideshow using the “Explain Everything” app, sharing some information about the Devon Boat House and Chasapeake Finish Line Tower in Oklahoma City from last Friday’s Creativity Institute.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Balancing Choice and Freedom for Happiness and Satisfaction - 2016
- The Story of My Dad's Photo with President Kennedy - 2013
- Digitizing Vintage Photographic Negatives and Prints - 2012
- Artistic Creativity by Bunky Echo-Hawk at the Hard Rock Hotel in Tulsa #atalm12 - 2012
- AT&T ends unlimited iPhone data plans - 2010
- Apple pulled PixelPipe app in March 2010 - 2010
- NCLB damages US education by narrowing the curriculum - 2010
- Thanks Project Gutenberg for underwriting our 6th grade summer reading list - 2009
- The Power of a Well-Read Blog and the Adventures of Google Earth Girl - 2008
- New videos to share with educators - 2007