Back in February I presented Beyond Paperless for the 2012 Ohio eTech Technology Conference in Columbus Ohio. The presentation came about after a discussion with a principal in my school district. We were discussing the utility of iPod Touches with the students when she asked about printing. It was this question that set off a light bulb. Why are we worried about printing? What is so special about 8.5″ x 11.0″ paper?
When our students are creating artifacts to document their learning, they shouldn’t focus on how it will be viewed but what they are learning. These products could be viewed on a mobile device or a tablet. Focusing on paper as a final product is as bad as focusing on the technology. Don’t pigeonhole your students into writing papers, let them chose the format. It could be a movie. An audio recording. A song.
Education is communication, and what a student uses as evidence of their learning is just words at its simplest point, but it is how the student uses these words that is powerful. An amazing example of this is the following poem. Watch the video of the poem, and then compare it to the written version. The video version is more powerful. More moving. This is what we want our students to be able to create.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Safety Tip When Paying with Plastic - 2019
- Podcast414: June 2014 Educational Technology Conference Updates - 2014
- TEDxOU in January 2012 and TEDxOKC 2011 Videos - 2011
- Sharing YouTube Activity Digital Breadcrumbs - 2011
- Avoid Controversial Related YouTube Videos When You Embed on a Blog #gct - 2011
- Jaycut, not YouTube, has the best online, free video editor today - 2010
- Mac OS 10.5.3 Address Book Syncs to Google! - 2008
- links for 2008-06-22 - 2008
- Hallmark of 21st Century Learning: Use of web video - 2007
- Administrators Who Blog, Read Blogs, and Podcast - 2007