SXSWedu 2013 will be held in Austin in March. A couple weeks ago I submitted a book talk proposal titled, “Why We Need to Play with Media,” and you can vote for it using the SXSWedu PanelPicker website. The description is:
I’d like to share my passion for playing with media and helping learners of all ages (but especially educators and students) learn new strategies for playing with media to become more effective multimedia communicators. We live in a “post-scarcity” information landscape, but in many classrooms across the world educators and students are still interacting like it was 1981. This situation needs to change dramatically at scale, but those changes begin with each one of us. As we learn to use digital text, images, audio and video in creative ways and share our digital products online for others to see, we can develop content knowledge, traditional literacy skills, and digital literacy skills together. My 2011 eBook, “Playing with Media: simple ideas for powerful sharing,” offers a framework as well as strategies for developing and demonstrating digital literacy. I’d like to help learners everywhere become better multimedia communicators, and that process begins when we play with media.
For the video overview, I shared the “Playing With Media Trailer” Judy Paolucci created last March with iMovie for iPad. Judy is the superintendent of Yarmouth Public Schools in Maine. I LOVE this video trailer.
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Join in a free eTechOhio Webinar Tues Sept 20th on #playingwithmedia - 2011
- Share "timed" comments on Audio Recordings with SoundCloud - 2011
- Enjoy Podcast Fast Forward and Rewind Options with Podcaster.fm - 2011
- Exploring Suzhou, China (a StoryKit mobile phone digital story) #learning2cn - 2010
- Podcast280: Get Wiki With It! - 2008
- K-12 Online DEN Presentation on Slideshare - 2007
- Back in the USA, our travel day continues - 2007
- Notes from Gary Stager's Learning 2.0 Session: 10 things to do with a laptop - 2007
- Good insights from Madeleine Albright - 2006
- IM in schools - 2006