Newsweek Magazine announced this week it is discontinuing its print version at the end of the year. The key statements in the article for me were the following:
Tablet-use has grown rapidly among our readers and with it the opportunity to sustain editorial excellence through swift, easy digital distribution—a superb global platform for our award-winning journalism. By year’s end, tablet users in the United States alone are expected to exceed 70 million, up from 13 million just two years ago. Currently, 39 percent of Americans say they get their news from an online source, according to a Pew Research Center study released last month. In our judgment, we have reached a tipping point at which we can most efficiently and effectively reach our readers in all-digital format. This was not the case just two years ago. It will increasingly be the case in the years ahead.
The information landscape is changing fast. If your school is not already 1:1, what is your transition timeline to a 1:1 learning environment for students as well as teachers? Arne Duncan may be enthralled with etexts and high stakes testing online, but there are even more compelling reasons to go 1:1. All our schools will be 1:1 eventually. The questions are, when will your school go 1:1 and what will change when you do?
Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Oklahoma Educators: Register for NetPotential 2011 in OKC & Tulsa - 2011
- Connect the Dots: The Political Revolution We Need in the USA - 2011
- Learning about AudioBoo from a 1st Grader at College - 2010
- Mobile Phone Photo Editing Fun #edapp - 2010
- No, just having IWBs does not make learning engaging - 2009
- Combining RSS feeds with Yahoo Pipes - 2008
- Images and Experiences from TechCon 2008 near Chicago today - 2008
- Podcast195V: Digital Storytelling with Gabcast and Voicethread - 2007
- The ethic of minimal clicks for classroom digital storytelling - 2007
- iPhone to open to 3rd party apps - 2007