Wolfram Alpha is a global game changer for mathematics and computation on par with Google for information access. Every teacher and student, especially at secondary and post-secondary levels, should not only know ABOUT Wolfram Alpha but also how to effectively USE Wolfram Alpha to solve problems. My son (who is almost 15 and in 9th grade, taking Algebra 2) told me recently he’d been using a free Google Chrome web app to convert algebraic functions into the computer syntax required by Wolfram Alpha. Today he recorded a short (3 minute) screencast demonstrating how to use the Daum Equation Editor to format math equations for Wolfram Alpha.
To learn more about Wolfram Alpha, I strongly recommend Jane Krauss‘ outstanding K-12 Online Conference 2012 presentation, “Make Meaning with Wolfram Alpha.” Also see my notes from EDUCAUSE in Denver two weeks ago, “Teaching in an Age of Plenty by Wolfram-Alpha Co-Founder Theodore Gray.” This was Theodore’s statement on November 9th which inspired me to write the first grandiose sentence of this post:
Google has fundamentally changed our relationship with information access. Wolfram Alpha fundamentally changes our relationship with computation.
The learning revolution continues…
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Google Tools Workshops in Oklahoma City: 14-15 December 2010 (flyer) - 2010
- How to publish an audio lecturecast with Podcast Generator (screencast demo) - 2010
- Meet Jonney Shih, Netbook innovator - 2009
- Power of Google Voice Transcriptions comes to YouTube with Automatic Annotations - 2009
- GPS learning in the air and on the highway - 2008
- 1963 to 2007: Broadcasting has come a long way - 2007
- Oklahoma centennial photos, videos, and reflections - 2007
- Create a skype button - responsibly - 2007
- Residential wifi proliferates - 2007
- 3rd grade website about Africa - 2006