Wolfram Alpha is a global game changer for mathematics and computation on par with Google for information access. Every teacher and student, especially at secondary and post-secondary levels, should not only know ABOUT Wolfram Alpha but also how to effectively USE Wolfram Alpha to solve problems. My son (who is almost 15 and in 9th grade, taking Algebra 2) told me recently he’d been using a free Google Chrome web app to convert algebraic functions into the computer syntax required by Wolfram Alpha. Today he recorded a short (3 minute) screencast demonstrating how to use the Daum Equation Editor to format math equations for Wolfram Alpha.
To learn more about Wolfram Alpha, I strongly recommend Jane Krauss‘ outstanding K-12 Online Conference 2012 presentation, “Make Meaning with Wolfram Alpha.” Also see my notes from EDUCAUSE in Denver two weeks ago, “Teaching in an Age of Plenty by Wolfram-Alpha Co-Founder Theodore Gray.” This was Theodore’s statement on November 9th which inspired me to write the first grandiose sentence of this post:
Google has fundamentally changed our relationship with information access. Wolfram Alpha fundamentally changes our relationship with computation.
The learning revolution continues…
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Google Tools Workshops in Oklahoma City: 14-15 December 2010 (flyer) - 2010
- How to publish an audio lecturecast with Podcast Generator (screencast demo) - 2010
- Meet Jonney Shih, Netbook innovator - 2009
- Power of Google Voice Transcriptions comes to YouTube with Automatic Annotations - 2009
- GPS learning in the air and on the highway - 2008
- 1963 to 2007: Broadcasting has come a long way - 2007
- Oklahoma centennial photos, videos, and reflections - 2007
- Create a skype button - responsibly - 2007
- Residential wifi proliferates - 2007
- 3rd grade website about Africa - 2006