His 104 second video with himself, “Lord of the Rings in 99 Seconds,” has 1.3 million YouTube views to date. It makes the video I created with my kids in the summer of 2011, “The Hobbit In Five Minutes,” look like a far more coarse and amateurish attempt at a 3 novel / movie plot summary.
Jon’s most popular YouTube creation to date, with 11.8 million views, is “Harry Potter in 99 Seconds.” Jon is monetizing this popularity not only through YouTube’s advertising program, but also by selling his original musical creation on iTunes as well as original HP T-shirt designs in his own SpreadShirt.com online shop.
“The Paper Jukebox” is definitely one of Jon’s most creative videos. It reminds me of Tyler Garcia’s SoundCloud creation I featured in the January 2012 post, “Make a Song with Sounds from Your Kitchen on an iPad.”
One video which gives a bit more context and background for Jon’s amazing musical creativity is “Kid Roasts His Principal.” Jon revealed that he wrote that song in one evening, in May 2011, when he was still in high school. No doubt about it, Jon Cozart has REMARKABLE musical talent.
If you want to watch even more of Jon’s musical creativity, he’s included his 14 videos published to date in a YouTube playlist. Consider sharing Jon’s videos with your own students as examples of how clever prose, good acting, careful video editing, and singing with creative abandon can combine as powerful videos people won’t soon forget.
Have you found other examples of students demonstrating their creative, musical genius on YouTube? If so please share links to their channels or links to specific videos you admire.
Hat tip to my wife for sharing Jon Cozart’s videos, which she discovered via Pinterest.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Taylor Swift's Letter to Apple and Digital Citizenship - 2015
- Combine Audioboo Sound Recordings with Audacity - 2013
- Incredible Oklahoma City Christmas Lights Powered by Light-o-Rama - 2011
- The Dangerous Nexus of Cyber Charter Schools & For-Profit Curriculum Companies - 2011
- Standardized Test Results Obfuscate Real Learning - 2011
- Smartphones on the rise, Apple v Google Approaches - 2010
- We Learn What We Do - With Media Too - 2010
- IgniteOKC - Ubuntu Netbooks for All Learners - Now! - 2009
- What's going on with oil prices these days? (Challenge your students in 2009 to find out) - 2008
- Wrangling with email contact lists and Christmas card mass mailing options - 2008