This first podcast of 2013 on “Moving at the Speed of Creativity Podcasts” features an interview with Jackson, an 11th grader in Oklahoma City Public Schools, who took a virtual course in fall 2012 through the OKCPS Innovations K-12 Virtual Institute. The Innovations K-12 Virtual Institute is Oklahoma City Public Schools’ virtual school, provided at no cost to current students in the district. OKCPS has contracted with Connections Academy to provide a variety of virtual course options for students. In this 18 minute interview, Jackson shares his experiences taking an English class online last semester including a discussion of the benefits as well as challenges of taking the class online. Jackson is a student at Classen School of Advanced Studies in OKCPS, and took the English course for “course recovery” since he did not get an English credit last year when he was an AFS exchange student in France. Check out the podcast shownotes for links to iOKCPS and other referenced resources.
- iOKCPS: Oklahoma City Public Schools Virtual School (OKCPS Innovations K-12 Virtual Institute)
- Enrollment Information and Deadlines for iOKCPS
- iOKCPS Courses with Connections Academy
- Oklahoma Connections Academy
- Virtual Learning Connections (Official blog of Connections Academy)
- Follow Oklahoma City Public Schools on Twitter: @okcps
- Follow Connections Academy on Twitter: @connectionsacad
- Classen School of Advanced Studies in OKCPS
- education2020 and Yukon Virtual School
- The Beatniks Cafe in Oklahoma City (@thebeatnixcafe)
- Oklahoma City PS Students: Enroll in Virtual Classes for Fall 2013 by Feb 8th (January 2013)
- Opportunities and Obstacles for Digital Learning (April 2012) [VIDEO]
- Wesley Fryer’s notes and posts from the April 2012 Oklahoma Digital Learning Summit
- How to Make Your High School Students Fail Online Courses (November 2011)
- The Pivot to Personal Digital Learning by Tom Vander Ark (July 2011)
- Proposed K12 virtual school legislation in Florida a sign of things to come (April 2011)
- UCO Dumps Epic One on One Charter School (January 2011)
- Virtual K12 Enrollments in White Oak PS, Oklahoma (December 2010)
- No alternative to the RTTT / Duncan Education Reform Plan Offered by Fallin (December 2010)
- Legal Fight Over Publicly funded Charter Schools and Online Education in Oklahoma (August 2010)
- Podcast353: Free, Online K-12 Education Options for ALL Oklahoma Students via Epic One on One Charter School (July 2010)
- Disrupting Class: How Disruptive Innovation Will Change the Way the World Learns (CoSN 2009 closing keynote – March 2009)
- ReadingFirst, NCLB, School Accountability, and our Educational Future (August 2008)
- Fuel for Educational Change Agents Podcast channel
- Follow Wesley on Twitter: @wfryer
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” podcasts!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Students & Teachers Explain Benefits of MinecraftEDU [VIDEO] - 2015
- First iMovie for iPhone Video - 2011
- Understanding the value of social media use for literacy development - 2010
- Podcast299: Dreaming of the Storychaser's Peace Train - 2009
- Bison on the Konza Prairie - 2008
- Opposing ethnocentrism in schools and society - 2007
- WikiPedia user page, Oklahoma Digital Centennial project - 2007
- Blog post listeners, podcatchers and accessibility - 2007