Take 19 minutes and watch this fantastic TEDtalk: “Jarrett J. Krosoczka: How a boy became an artist.” When you do, you’ll understand why the simple phrase, “Nice cat” had such power in the life of a young third grader named Jarrett.
- Our 9 year old daughter continues to absolutely burst with creative, artistic gifts, but I see her challenged increasingly now in 3rd grade to spend time doing worksheets and studying for spelling tests in the evening instead of drawing and writing stories.
- I’m extremely passionate about encouraging teachers to view computers in the hands of students not as arcades (a.k.a. PacMan-like experiences) but instead as IMAGINATION MACHINES and bridges to creativity. (Reference: Mapping Media to the Common Core: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?)
- I am completely captivated by the power of student voice and the need to empower student writers to view themselves as authors and creators, with IMPORTANT voices that deserve to be heard.
- I’m passionate about encouraging others to publish their work as ebooks and share their ideas with the world.
Check out this TEDtalk. Jarrett Krosoczka rocks. Then check out Jarrett’s website (www.studiojjk.com). Then go to your local library and check out as many of his picture books, graphic novels, and chapter books as you can carry out legally.
Rachel’s words about the importance of art teachers when she was in 1st grade ring in my ears as I listen to Jarrett talk about the life-saving role art and art teachers had in his life growing up. Praise God for art teachers and teachers who encourage students “do art” in the face of politicians and testing companies who continue to perpetuate the lie that education and learning is primarily about fear and bubble sheets.
Long live Art Snacks.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- More Minecraft Learning: Enchantments and Desert Temples - 2017
- Podcast 439: Best Day of Classroom Blogging Ever with Shelly Fryer - 2016
- Initial Minecraft Competition World Created with MCEdit - 2014
- Create Multiple Audioboo Channels with the Same Gmail Address - 2013
- Going Mobile with WordPress and Search Engine Optimization (SEO) - 2012
- StoryRobe + ReelDirector = Hybrid Mobile Video #edapps - 2011
- Schools pretend this world of publish at will media doesn't exist - 2010
- Digital Witness to President Obama's Inauguration - 2009
- Opening minds about cell phones for learning - 2008
- Vista is out, but do educators care? - 2007