Dr. Cyndi Danner Kuhn is using my ebook this semester, “Playing with Media: simple ideas for powerful sharing,” as her course textbook in DED 318 at Kansas State University. DED 318 is a required technology education course for pre-service teachers, and it’s great to see how Cyndi continues to iterate and evolve the focus and projects in this course for students based on changes in edtech. Recently her students responded to the question, “Why is it important to play with media?” in the private Edmodo group she’s using in her course. I created a Wordle word cloud from their responses, to identify some patterns which it exposes in their collective thinking about this question.
This is the reflection I posted in their Edmodo:
I created a Wordle word cloud with your answers. One thing I don’t see as a major concept in your answers is CREATIVITY. Remember creativity is vitally important for both intrinsic and extrinsic purposes. (It’s not just important because it creates business innovation and jobs, it’s also an important part of what makes us human beings and enables us to create and share our culture.) High stakes testing and accountability doesn’t value creativity at all, but it’s one area where the important things we need to bring to our students and our classrooms aren’t “on the test.”
What else do you think is missing as a “major idea” in this Wordle cloud summary of why it’s important to play with media?
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Digital Literacy (for iPad wielding learners in Dodge City, Kansas) - 2014
- GeoMap Comparison of Cellular Data Speeds Between OKC and Dodge City - 2014
- Options & Tips for Migrating a Posterous site to WordPress, Tumblr, or Posthaven - 2013
- Teacher Blog Controversy in Pennsylvania Points to Need for Social Media Guidelines - 2011
- Photo Geotagging Poses Privacy Risks, But Is NOT a Reason for Panic - 2011
- Will Race to the Top Hurt Kids and Make Charter School Entrepreneurs Rich? - 2010
- Tips to be a better blogger - 2010
- Attribution links in VoiceThreads - 2010
- Marco Torres Keynote: ITSC 2009 Portland - 2009
- Feedback via Gabcast, VoiceThread and Qik from ITSC 2009 - 2009