(cross-posted from Learning Signs, our family learning blog)
Rachel and Sarah had a wonderful opportunity yesterday to visit Tinker Air Force Base by Oklahoma City and tour a Boeing E-3 Sentry (AWACS) aircraft with the first all-female crew in the history of the US Air Force.
The girls spent about ten minutes in the cockpit checking out the controls and asking questions of both female pilots and the female flight engineer.
Then they learned all about the mission and roles of the air crew in the AWACS, which serves as the “eyes and ears” of the US national command authority worldwide. I’ve wanted my girls to get a better understanding of what officers and NCOs in the US Air Force do and what careers they could potentially have in the military, and yesterday was absolutely the PERFECT opportunity to help them do that! MANY thanks to my friend and classmate Vern Conaway, who let us know about this opportunity.
Oklahoma City’s Fox 25 News interviewed Rachel and Sarah during their tour and featured some of their comments in a video news segment which aired on March 15th.
Rachel recorded a 2.5 minute narrated slideshow, “Inspired by Women in the US Air Force,” using the app SonicPics on my iPhone, sharing some additional thoughts and reflections about the impact of this experience on her.
Thinking and planning for STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) careers starts early! Many thanks to all the officers, NCOs, and civilian employees at Tinker AFB who made these experiences possible!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Lessons Gleaned from the Life of Joseph Priestley - 2017
- Don't Use an AT&T Phone Overseas Without an International Calling Plan - 2016
- Student "Confession Pages" Trend Highlights Free Speech Issues & Need to Address Ethics / Digital Citizenship - 2013
- Playing With Media Trailer: Modeling Technology Use as the Superintendent - 2012
- Global Collaboration (including The Arab Spring Project) at Yarmouth High School - 2012
- Microsoft Copying Apple Store Experience - 2011
- Feedburner Feed and Yahoo Pipe Updated (no longer frozen on Feb 18th post) - 2011
- Terms of Service Agreements Users Don't Read - 2011
- Install alternate operating systems and software on a netbook via a USB flash drive - 2010
- Podcast306: Voices of COSN 2009 (Grantwrangler, a handheld data projector, and cloud-based computing) - 2009