If you and your students are creating or thinking about creating artwork, poems, recorded messages, essays, or digital video projects to express encouragement, love and support to the families affected by the deadly tornadoes yesterday in Moore, Oklahoma, consider sharing them on social media websites with the hashtag #moorehugs. By using a hashtag on Twitter, Instagram, or other social platforms, those messages can be readily collected and shared with others. A hashtag can “amplify” a message on social media to a wider audience.
If your students create artwork for families in Moore, consider using a free app like AudioBoo to have students add voice narration to their drawings.* Simple expressions of concern, love and support can be very meaningful as well as beneficial. By sharing these with a hashtag on social media, you increase the chances people in Moore and elsewhere can see and be touched by the words and artistic creations of your students.
If your students are interested in helping the rescue and rebuilding efforts in Moore, Oklahoma, this article from NewsOK and this post have helpful suggestions. More resources for “narrated art” projects are also available.
If you know of another hashtag being used to share messages of encouragement for people in Moore, Oklahoma, please share it as a comment.
* I am not affiliated or connected to AudioBoo in any way, I just love their platform and app for sharing narrated art.
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- FREE Oklahoma City STEM Workshop: June 4-5, 2014 - 2014
- Read an Enhanced eBook in the Chrome Browser with Readium - 2013
- Using Student Videos on YouTube to Demonstrate Proper School Procedures - 2013
- Remembering the Oklahoma City Bombing (supplementary curriculum videos) - 2010
- VoiceThread questions for graduating seniors - 2008
- Thank you Vicki Davis! - 2008
- My OLPC dream comes true - 2008
- No videoconference to Williamsburg - I'm sad - 2008
- K-12 Online 2007: Call for Proposals! - 2007
- Blogs like a neutron bomb! - 2006