Today at the 2013 Podstock conference in Wichita, Kansas, Dan Whisler shared a great presentation titled, “Energy 101 – KidWind & the SHS Chevy Volt Project.” Dan discussed a TON of great ways to teach multi-disciplinary concepts through hands-on wind energy science projects! Dan’s Podstock 2013 bio is:
Dan Whisler has taught Biology, Anatomy & Physiology, and Environmental Science at Sterling (KS) High School for the past 28 years. Sterling High School was one of the initial schools selected for participation in the Kansas Wind for Schools Program. Dan has considerable experience in energy-related educational programs, is trained as a KidWind Wind Senator, and is the creator of and project director for the SHS Chevy Volt Project. Through these programs students are not just studying science, they are “doing” science! Selected for the 2011 Outstanding Secondary Science Teacher Award by the Kansas State University Chapter of Sigma Xi, Dan has a passion to help students and the much larger extended community raise their level of awareness for energy-related issues.
Learn more about the awesome KidWind project by watching their videos on Vimeo, following @KidWind_Project on Twitter, and visiting their main website. I won the “Mini Wind Turbine” (a $37 value) as a session door prize from KidWind. I’m excited to share this with my wife’s 3rd – 5th grade students this upcoming school year! One of the session attendees today won Kidwind’s “Advanced Wind Experiment Kit – Classroom Pack” which sells for $350! Thanks KidWind for supporting Dan’s presentation and Podstock!
I used Brushes Viewer software to create an animated video version of my visual notes and posted those to YouTube as well, since I’ll be sharing a Podstock session tomorrow on visual notetaking. I also audio recorded Dan’s session, and may post that later as an audio podcast.
Did you know Wes has published 3 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Use Video Camera Like a Pencil - A Blog Like a Textbook - 2014
- Lessons Learned Teaching Mapping Media Last Semester as a Blended Course - 2013
- A Video Lecture You Won't Soon Forget: Video Games and Storytelling - 2012
- Webcasting with Ustream, an iPad, a Tripod & an XLR Boundary Microphone - 2012
- It's not a real spider, it's just a smartphone - 2011
- Alan November's website was hacked - 2010
- River Rafting in Colorado with Buffalo Joe's on the Arkansas River - 2010
- A free online musical - But watch out - No ratings here... - 2008
- Know any fantastic Drupal developers? - 2008
- 50 iPhone emails today - 2007