A special meeting of the Oklahoma City Public Schools’ School Board has been called for 1 pm Sunday, August 4, 2013. The meeting will continue the extremely positive, collaborative special meeting on July 12th which was held at the home of board chair Lynne Hardin. According to the official meeting agenda, topics on tap for discussion will include:
Process for Hiring a Superintendent
Structure of the OKC Public School District
Where We Are Now and Where We Want to Be
- Vision, Mission
- Measurable Outcomes
- Community Councils
- Feeder Patterns/Feeder Districts
- Academic Programs
I deeply regret I will not be able to attend and participate in this meeting. * Please, PLEASE, if you are an OKCPS parent, student or community member and your schedule permits, plan to attend this meeting which will be held at the Oklahoma State School Board Association, Conference Room, 2801 N Lincoln Blvd., STE #125 in Oklahoma City. Out of the thousands of parents and families in OKCPS (which serves approximately 50,000 students) only TWO parents attended and participated in the July 12th special board meeting. We need more parent participation! Our current superintendent, Karl Springer, has resigned and his last day with the district will be August 30th. The OKCPS Board did not approve and hire a new principal for Classen School of Advanced Studies for the 2013-2014 school year, so students and teachers at ClassenSAS will be starting the year WITHOUT A SENIOR PRINCIPAL. Our OKCPS board members are providing leadership for our district, but we NEED more voices and more participation from parents as well as other community constituents. This is especially true now, when we have several new board members and a departing superintendent.
Please attend and share what you observe and learn afterward, if possible.
by Wesley Fryer
* Update: Our family plans for the weekend changed and I will be able to attend this meeting Sunday.
Did you know Wes has published 3 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Moving Students From Knowledgeable to Knowledge-ABLE: Michael Wesch at TEDxKC - 2014
- Left to Their Own Devices - 2013
- Books on My Wish List Thanks to Bob Sprankle - 2012
- 12 Graphics to Illustrate Mapping Media to the Curriculum - 2012
- The phrase "CIPA compliant content" can be misleading - 2011
- iPad Apps for the classroom #blackfootETC - 2011
- Transformative Personal Connections in a Hyperconnected World #blackfootETC - 2011
- From 671 trains in a day to six: Transformations in travel and learning - 2010
- Show your remaining battery percentage on your iOS device (iPhone, iPad, etc) - 2010
- Painful signs of media convergence in my hometown - 2009