Today in the “apps playground” at the 2013 iPad Academy hosted by Chicago Public Schools, the awesome elementary teacher Autumn Laidler (@MsLaidler) taught me how to use the free iPad app “Little Story Maker” to create ebooks which include BOTH your recorded voice and “text highlights.” Like many books on the website Starfall.com, an eBook with “text highlights” has individual words highlight or change color as they are read aloud. I’ve wanted to create eBooks like this for a long time, and I’m so excited to know how to do it now! The main disadvantage of “Little Story Maker” is that it does not currently support any kind of eBook export, so you can only view the ebooks you and your students create on the same iPad used to make them. Autumn shared that the $2 app “Story Creator Pro” also supports audio recording and text highlights, and does support ebook exporting. I have not tried it yet, however.
This evening I recorded a six minute screencast demonstrating how “Little Story Maker” eBooks look and sound, and how you can create them.
Did you know Wes has published 3 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- First Android-Edited Video: WeVideo App - 2014
- Wii Remote Interactive Whiteboard for $60 - 2014
- Mapping Media to the Common Core with iPads (Aug 2013) - 2013
- What is it about me you can’t teach? Five Simple Things to Reach Struggling Learners - 2012
- Present to 14 iPads Simultaneously with Idea Flight - 2011
- Lessons Learned About Enhanced or Multimedia EPUB eBook Validation - 2011
- Tell A Story in 5 Photos for Educators: S'mores! - 2010
- Discouraging lecture hall technology abuse - Encouraging interactive discussions - 2009
- iPhone GS Black Screen During Calls Mystery Solved - 2009
- Digital Witness to the U.S. Presidential Inauguration - 2009