Today during my breakout session on “Creating Narrated Slideshows” in Freeport, Maine, at the RSU5 “iPad Learning” professional development day, teachers used the free website Padlet (formerly “WallWisher”) to brainstorm reasons why some teachers do NOT allow students to CREATE in class. Teachers used iPads as well as laptop computers, using web browsers, to add their textual ideas to our Padlet page.
There are LOTS of different reasons why at different times, teachers don’t let students CREATE. It’s messy. There are lots of unknowns. Students might be more off-task then usual. The list goes on.
John Dewey was right, however, when he repeatedly observed and contended that WE LEARN WHAT WE DO. In school, whether we’re using technology devices or not, we need to constantly MAKE STUFF if we want learning to be authentic and “sticky.”
I recorded the audio from this presentation and posted it to my “Fuel 4 Educational Change Agents” secondary podcast channel. This is the first audio podcast I’ve “normalized” using the free web platform Auphonic. I was able to create a “pre-set” for the podcast channel which not only includes textual meta-information, but also an outro audio file. If you create audio or video podcasts, you definitely should check out Auphonic!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Send Web Articles to Kindle from an iPhone with Readability - 2012
- Use a Google Docs Spreadsheet to Send Text Message Alerts to Students - 2011
- Make free phone calls to land lines (US and Canada) from GMail #gct - 2010
- Easily Sync Google Calendars to your iPhone - 2010
- Why publish school updates on Facebook? - 2010
- Translate your WordPress blog into 40+ Languages - 2009
- iPod Touch Camera and Mic Coming Sept 9? - 2009
- Student Reporter interviews President Obama - 2009
- Oklahoma Social Media Publishers: Throw Your Voice on October 3! - 2009
- StoryChasers Brainstorm 4 - 2008