Listening is a vital skill we all need to intentionally practice for both personal and professional success in life, but many of us don’t. This podcast is a recorded interview with Tim Hast, a friend and the author of the book “Powerful Listening. Powerful Influence. Work Better. Live Better. Love Better: by Mastering the Art of Skillful Listening.” In our 25 minute audio interview together Tim discusses four key elements of “active listening” which can make a tremendous difference in the relationships we have at work and at home. Refer to the podcast shownotes for links to Tim’s book (available in paperback or for $4.99 on Amazon Kindle) as well as Tim’s website. The description of Tim’s book is: Want to win friends and really influence people? This book was written for you. Listening is the most powerful tool for success in business and in life. So if it’s that important, why don’t we listen better? Because life moves way too fast, we’re busy, and we don’t know how. Discover what active listening is and what it is not. Learn four simple actions that will train your brain to listen, and see for yourself the difference these steps make in your life. People need to be heard. If you understand this simple principle you’re well on your way along the road to success. Nothing you can say will be nearly as important as what you need to hear the other person say. Practice skillful listening and discover the principle key to effective communication and having a powerful influence with others. Tim was trained as a psychotherapist. His specialty, working with couples. He discovered people got better when he quit trying to tell them what to do and simply focused on hearing their story and helped them listen to each other. He observed if he taught a couple to really listen to each other, their relationship improved. One couple saw how it improved their relationship and used those same skills with their teenagers. It worked. The husband, a CEO, used the same listening techniques in his office and found it really worked there as well! Skillful active listening works for everybody. If you read this book and begin to practice the four simple steps you will increase your odds of success in your career, have deeper richer relationships, and enjoy a more satisfying life.
- Tim Hast: Encore Life Skills
- Powerful Listening. Powerful Influence. Work Better. Live Better. Love Better: by Mastering the Art of Skillful Listening (paperback)
- Powerful Listening. Powerful Influence. Work Better. Live Better. Love Better: by Mastering the Art of Skillful Listening (eBook – Kindle)
- Secretary’s Commission on Achieving Necessary Skills (SCANS) – June 1991, US Department of Labor
- Tim’s keynote: “The Incredible Power of Listening” and seminars: “Effective Communication Skills for Managers” and “Effective Communication Skills for the Workplace”
- YouTube video: “It’s Not About the Nail”
by Wesley Fryer
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Don't Get Tricked Online - A Media Literacy Lesson - 2019
- Amazed by Edgar's Design Creativity in Minecraft - 2014
- Photographic Highlights and Mapping Media Learning from NW Illinois - 2013
- Innovative Learning Institute in Norman: Nov 6, 2012 - 2012
- Digital Magazines: Text Plus Multimedia - 2011
- When Parents Don't Want Student Email - 2011
- Mirroring an iPad with iOS 5 & Apple TV - 2011
- Platforms for Interactively Sharing Student Work - 2010
- AudioBoo provides a great opportunity to record and share holiday memories - 2010
- The Research on Teaching Animation Design Art by Yang Huansong - 2009