This audio podcast is a recording of Jake Heister’s presentation on December 4, 2013, at the Interactive Learning Institute in Norman, Oklahoma, titled, “Going 1:1 – Planning for Success.” The ILI Conference is sponsored each year by the K-20 Center at the University of Oklahoma. The official session description was “Many well-intended 1:1 initiatives fall short of their potential due to lack of planning in a few key areas. This session will detail the planning process for our current implementation of a 1:1 Chromebook environment, tips for success, and lessons learned.” Although this description mentions Chromebooks specifically, Jake addresses planning issues for 1:1 projects applicable to all platforms and devices. This was an outstanding presentation, and one of the best the publisher (Wesley Fryer) has heard in the past five years about 1:1 computing initiatives. Please refer to the podcast shownotes for links to Jake’s slides as well as selective, republished tweets shared by @wfryer during Jake’s presentation. Follow Jake on Twitter: @jakeheister.
- Jake Heister on Twitter: @jakeheister
- Google Presentation slides for Going 1:1 – Planning for Success
- Piedmont Public Schools, Oklahoma
- Blended Learning Implementation Guide (PDF) by @DigLearningNow
- Great 1:1 literature review by CASTLE & @mcleod for going 1:1 (PDF)
- “our ultimate goal in our district is to go 1:1 in grades 5-12″
- Chromebooks for Education Overview (2 minute video)
- “Chromebook challenge: Hard to get photos & videos INTO them. We bought Nexus7 tablets for checkout to address this”
- “We should have spent $5 more per case for our Chromebooks so they have more protection!”
- “Our students pay $40 user fee at the start of the year so they can take their Chromebooks home”
- “flexible Internet filtering policies are KEY for a successful 1:1 project – we must have differentiated filtering”
- “my job in our schools is to serve as a bridge between instruction/teaching/learning and the technology”
- Great use of YouTube screencasts to provide teacher #edtech support! www.youtube.com/user/piedmontpd
- “with $30 per device management features of Chromebooks they are MUCH easier to manage than iPads”
- Friday Institute’s 1:1 Implementation Rubric is excellent
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” podcasts!
Did you know Wes has published 3 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- 99¢ Podcast: Tell a Story in 5 Photos - 2011
- Envisioning a Cloud-based, Platform Independent Computing Future [VIDEO] - 2011
- The Case for Balanced Internet Filtering in Schools - 2010
- KFC and McDonalds Reinvent Themselves - Why Not Our Schools? - 2009
- Using FeedForAll to update #k12online Podcast Channels - 2009
- Tracking computer use by application with Slife - 2008
- Consider 1:1 learning in Korea - 2007
- Add blog post to Google Reader shared items without subscribing? - 2007
- The greatest university of all - 2006
- 2nd rejected TechEdge article - 2005