This audio podcast is a recording of Jake Heister’s presentation on December 4, 2013, at the Interactive Learning Institute in Norman, Oklahoma, titled, “Going 1:1 – Planning for Success.” The ILI Conference is sponsored each year by the K-20 Center at the University of Oklahoma. The official session description was “Many well-intended 1:1 initiatives fall short of their potential due to lack of planning in a few key areas. This session will detail the planning process for our current implementation of a 1:1 Chromebook environment, tips for success, and lessons learned.” Although this description mentions Chromebooks specifically, Jake addresses planning issues for 1:1 projects applicable to all platforms and devices. This was an outstanding presentation, and one of the best the publisher (Wesley Fryer) has heard in the past five years about 1:1 computing initiatives. Please refer to the podcast shownotes for links to Jake’s slides as well as selective, republished tweets shared by @wfryer during Jake’s presentation. Follow Jake on Twitter: @jakeheister.
- Jake Heister on Twitter: @jakeheister
- Google Presentation slides for Going 1:1 – Planning for Success
- Piedmont Public Schools, Oklahoma
- Blended Learning Implementation Guide (PDF) by @DigLearningNow
- Great 1:1 literature review by CASTLE & @mcleod for going 1:1 (PDF)
- “our ultimate goal in our district is to go 1:1 in grades 5-12”
- Chromebooks for Education Overview (2 minute video)
- “Chromebook challenge: Hard to get photos & videos INTO them. We bought Nexus7 tablets for checkout to address this”
- “We should have spent $5 more per case for our Chromebooks so they have more protection!”
- “Our students pay $40 user fee at the start of the year so they can take their Chromebooks home”
- “flexible Internet filtering policies are KEY for a successful 1:1 project – we must have differentiated filtering”
- “my job in our schools is to serve as a bridge between instruction/teaching/learning and the technology”
- Great use of YouTube screencasts to provide teacher #edtech support! www.youtube.com/user/piedmontpd
- “with $30 per device management features of Chromebooks they are MUCH easier to manage than iPads”
- Friday Institute’s 1:1 Implementation Rubric is excellent
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” podcasts!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- 99¢ Podcast: Tell a Story in 5 Photos - 2011
- Envisioning a Cloud-based, Platform Independent Computing Future [VIDEO] - 2011
- The Case for Balanced Internet Filtering in Schools - 2010
- KFC and McDonalds Reinvent Themselves - Why Not Our Schools? - 2009
- Using FeedForAll to update #k12online Podcast Channels - 2009
- Tracking computer use by application with Slife - 2008
- Consider 1:1 learning in Korea - 2007
- Add blog post to Google Reader shared items without subscribing? - 2007
- The greatest university of all - 2006
- 2nd rejected TechEdge article - 2005