This weekend I put together a presentation / slideshow for my STEM students I titled, “Visual Notetaking and Dreaming Big.” In the presentation this week in class, I’m sharing with my students about my 2007 trip to MacWorld in San Francisco, when I saw Steve Jobs announce the iPhone to the world. Look closely at the cell phone (on my belt) and digital camcorder (in my hands) in the photo below from that trip.
by Wesley Fryer
Oh that flip phone and DV camcorder “are SO 2007!”
by Wesley Fryer
One of the MANY points I’m trying to make for my students (as they practice their visual notetaking skills during this presentation) is that the technology we’re using today is going to seem SO slow and antiquated in just a few years when they are in high school and college. One of my students today made this point himself, when he declared the original iPhone (iPhone1) his parents gave him to use is so slow he just wants to throw it away. Imagine: The most advanced, expensive, consumer-level smartphone just six years old is now “throw away” digital technology for students in elementary school. This is a visible example of Moore’s Law and exponential change in the classroom!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- How to add administrators to a Facebook business page - 2010
- Delicious Social Bookmarks Going Away - What Shall We Do? - 2010
- iPhone & iPad Apps for Fun & Productivity Workshop - Dec 29th - 2010
- Planning for T4T in the Spring - 2009
- Workaround for Parallels problem with USB Mic in WinXP Audacity - 2008
- Podcast296V: Introducing and Explaining Travians, A Free Online Simulation Game (by 11 year old Alexander) - 2008
- A spooky museum experience tonight - 2008
- I'll pass on the Kindle, give me a thinner and cooler laptop - 2007
- Most important digital tools for teachers? - 2007
- Slow hotel Internet connection and a ridiculously broad AUP - 2007